[SOLVED] High Temps Custom Loop

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
I just built my first custom loop and I have high temps on my GPU and CPU after about 30 minutes of playing games. 50C on CPU and 60C on GPU. The water temp is about 40C. Specs are as follows:
CPU: 7820x stock with ekwb Plexi and copper block
MOBO: MSI X299 Gaming m7 ACK
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666
GPU: EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 with a hydro copper block.
Pump / Res: Hydro x Series XD5 Pump/Resrvoir Combo
Rads: EKWB 360mm EK PE and EKWB 360 Cool stream
Fans: 6x Noctua redux 1300 rpm 120mm fans Three intakes and three exhaust
Case: NZXT H700.
Using the corsair commander pro for the fans and pump. The fans spin at around 800 to 1000 RPM.
Tubes and fittings are 1/4 and so are the water blocks. Not sure why I have such high temps. I can post pictures if you want to see how it looks, just let me know. Thank you in advance.

Solution
What are you using to monitor your coolant temp? Can you provide detail? Where is it located in the loop? Is there only one, or multiple?
I've got it all figured out. The ICUE software wasn't working properly and reporting false pump and fan speeds. Uninstall and reinstall fixed it. Temps are about 45C on GPU and CPU while gaming. The temp sensor was in the pump.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Can you drop a photo or 2 in just to clarify your loop?

I wouldn't say that 50C are high temps for a CPU, but it depends how hot the 7820x runs - I personally have not used it or know many people who do. GPU temp seems a little warm, though. However, these temps are rather dependent on your ambient room temps...what is that during these load times?

You have enough radiator to keep that loop under control and should not have an issue with coolant flow unless you have the D5 pump setup to be PWM controlled and it is moving coolant far too slowly to be as effective as it should. I would ensure the pump is running at 100% speed, at least before you set a curve to it. Pump RPM and fan speed are very different, so hopefully that is being taken into consideration.

Also, have you attempted having both pump and fans set to 100%, just to make sure you have something to benchmark compare with? It would be good to know how well the system performs with both of these items operating at 100% potential before we take a look at the ramped curves.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Can you drop a photo or 2 in just to clarify your loop?

I wouldn't say that 50C are high temps for a CPU, but it depends how hot the 7820x runs - I personally have not used it or know many people who do. GPU temp seems a little warm, though. However, these temps are rather dependent on your ambient room temps...what is that during these load times?

You have enough radiator to keep that loop under control and should not have an issue with coolant flow unless you have the D5 pump setup to be PWM controlled and it is moving coolant far too slowly to be as effective as it should. I would ensure the pump is running at 100% speed, at least before you set a curve to it. Pump RPM and fan speed are very different, so hopefully that is being taken into consideration.

Also, have you attempted having both pump and fans set to 100%, just to make sure you have something to benchmark compare with? It would be good to know how well the system performs with both of these items operating at 100% potential before we take a look at the ramped curves.
On the Kraken x62 it would hover around 45C while gaming. Here is a link to some pics (fastest way to upload them) View: https://imgur.com/a/OL9xow6

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Do you have coolant moving through the entire loop when the system is running? As in, can easily tell that it is making a complete cycle through the entire cooling system?

I checked the pump outlet and it looks like you are using the correct port and your loop order looks to be pump -> GPU -> Rad1 -> CPU -> Rad2 -> pump (?)

My next question is - I have a similar EK block to that one...are you 100% certain that the jet plate and port alignment inside the block is allowing coolant flow? When I first changed out the plate, I accidentally re-assembled 90 degrees incorrectly, which blocked all flow at the CPU block. I noticed that there wasn't any coolant that ever made it beyond the CPU block when I was filling the loop, which meant I needed to pull the block apart, rotate (and check that I could blow air through) and then re-assemble.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Do you have coolant moving through the entire loop when the system is running? As in, can easily tell that it is making a complete cycle through the entire cooling system?

I checked the pump outlet and it looks like you are using the correct port and your loop order looks to be pump -> GPU -> Rad1 -> CPU -> Rad2 -> pump (?)

My next question is - I have a similar EK block to that one...are you 100% certain that the jet plate and port alignment inside the block is allowing coolant flow? When I first changed out the plate, I accidentally re-assembled 90 degrees incorrectly, which blocked all flow at the CPU block. I noticed that there wasn't any coolant that ever made it beyond the CPU block when I was filling the loop, which meant I needed to pull the block apart, rotate (and check that I could blow air through) and then re-assemble.
Yes I'm sure. The block came with the intel jetplate preinstalled.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017

Yes there is flow. The block came with the intel jetplate preinstalled.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There is something else going on, then. You should not see 60C+ temps on a fully watercooled GPU and while 50C+ on CPU is questionable, it isn't entirely abnormal depending on load.

I don't recall if you confirmed if the pump and fans are running at 100% during any of these evaluations or not. (I don't see that response). Can you provide that update?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There's no reason you would ever see those temps, so there is something else going on. Without any additional detail, I am leaning towards the 2 blocks are not seated well to both the CPU and GPU.

You are saying:

• Flow is 100% (absolutely certain?)
  • Flow can be seen in the reservoir
  • Fans are at 100% (absolutely certain?)
  • CPU block and jet plate is correctly installed specific for your CPU socket (only mentioned 'it came that way')

If all the above are without a doubt confirmed, then there has to be an issue with block mounting or you just have absolutely terrible airflow within the case. You can also test this by running the same tests with the side panel removed and a large house or desk fan set to the highest speed, aimed into the case.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
There's no reason you would ever see those temps, so there is something else going on. Without any additional detail, I am leaning towards the 2 blocks are not seated well to both the CPU and GPU.

You are saying:

• CPU block and jet plate is correctly installed specific for your CPU socket (only mentioned 'it came that way')
If all the above are without a doubt confirmed, then there has to be an issue with block mounting or you just have absolutely terrible airflow within the case. You can also test this by running the same tests with the side panel removed and a large house or desk fan set to the highest speed, aimed into the case.
I think It has to do with my airflow though. I'm going to try to rearrange some fans.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017

You are saying:

I should have also noted as the temps of the CPU and gpu go up the fluid temp goes up. It sits around 27C at idle and will climb up to 45C while gaming. The blocks have to be seated correctly as the loop is picking up the heat. The tubes are hot and so are the radiators.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Tubing shouldn't be getting all that hot if there's good flow. With good flow there's usually only 1-2°C difference between input and output once the liquid is stabilized.

With a kraken x61, on an i7-3770K @ 4.9GHz it was pushing a 200w+ OC. Liquid temps barely ever got past 35°C gaming and cpu temps never went past 55°C. And a custom loop has far better potential than an aio as far as flow goes.

Wondering if the porting on that gpu block is right. Some blocks are universal, so doesn't matter which ports are used as input/output, but some blocks aren't and input is on the left side, output on the right, same as the cpu block.

Just because the jetplate in the cpu block came pre-installed, doesn't mean it's right. As rubix said, he had a brain-fart one day and stuck one in crooked. For all you know that jetplate was installed on a Monday morning by someone who had partied the entire weekend and was still drunk.

There's an issue somewhere, so until you can verify with absolute certainty every individual facet of the build, rule nothing out based on assumption or you'll be chasing this thing in circles.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I should have also noted as the temps of the CPU and gpu go up the fluid temp goes up. It sits around 27C at idle and will climb up to 45C while gaming. The blocks have to be seated correctly as the loop is picking up the heat. The tubes are hot and so are the radiators.

45C while gaming is pretty decent, assuming these are CPU and GPU temps? How are you measuring coolant temp? 45C for coolant temp is a completely different story than CPU and GPU reported core temps.

Sounds like your issue is low flow rate and low fan RPM. Hot radiators and tubing would be impossible with your listed setup if both were running 100%. There's no way that much radiator area would struggle cooling a single CPU and GPU...both apparently at stock speeds.

Either we're being trolled, or you are incorrect about your flow rate and fan speeds.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
45C while gaming is pretty decent, assuming these are CPU and GPU temps? How are you measuring coolant temp? 45C for coolant temp is a completely different story than CPU and GPU reported core temps.

Sounds like your issue is low flow rate and low fan RPM. Hot radiators and tubing would be impossible with your listed setup if both were running 100%. There's no way that much radiator area would struggle cooling a single CPU and GPU...both apparently at stock speeds.

Either we're being trolled, or you are incorrect about your flow rate and fan speeds.
Sorry completely messed that up and mean that as the liquid temp. The liquid temp will go between 27C and 45C.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
What are you using to monitor your coolant temp? Can you provide detail? Where is it located in the loop? Is there only one, or multiple?
I've got it all figured out. The ICUE software wasn't working properly and reporting false pump and fan speeds. Uninstall and reinstall fixed it. Temps are about 45C on GPU and CPU while gaming. The temp sensor was in the pump.

Solution