[SOLVED] High temps for OC?

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I overclocked my 4790K to 4.5ghz at 1.15 vcore. under 100% load it reaches about 70c (+/-3). Is that normal? Shouldn't it be lower? I have a Scythe Mugen 5 cooler by the way.

also sorry if this belonged to the CPU section, i wasnt sure.

Solution
I overclocked my 4790K to 4.5ghz at 1.15 vcore. under 100% load it reaches about 70c (+/-3). Is that normal? Shouldn't it be lower? I have a Scythe Mugen 5 cooler by the way.

70C is great! You might be able to get it down about another 5C with a Noctua cooler, but other than that, it's entirely normal. Typically as long as you're under 80C there isn't much to worry about.

Once you start getting consistent temperatures above 80C, you should be thinking about either reducing the overclock and the voltages, or finding a better cooling solution. 80C isn't dangerous, but it's considered the threshold for everyday usage.

70C is great! You might be able to get it down about another 5C with a Noctua cooler, but other than that, it's entirely normal. Typically as long as you're under 80C there isn't much to worry about.

Once you start getting consistent temperatures above 80C, you should be thinking about either reducing the overclock and the voltages, or finding a better cooling solution. 80C isn't dangerous, but it's considered the threshold for everyday usage.

Solution
Well I guess I didn't really test them, but I'm currently doing work for Rosetta@Home using the BOINC manager, it uses all your CPU to find protein things that I'm not completely sure about :D

point is, it uses 100% :D
Thank you for your contribution to helping with research.

I would test with Prime95 to test stability and max temperature. It will put unnecessary heat/load on your processor, but it'll help you find out if it's stable [the workers will crash if it isn't], passing about 5 of the tests is usually stable enough for games, and it will basically prove if your cooling can keep up with heavy load. If it stays under 90C in Prime 95, you're golden.

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
Thank you for your contribution to helping with research.

I would test with Prime95 to test stability and max temperature. It will put unnecessary heat/load on your processor, but it'll help you find out if it's stable [the workers will crash if it isn't], passing about 5 of the tests is usually stable enough for games, and it will basically prove if your cooling can keep up with heavy load. If it stays under 90C in Prime 95, you're golden.

Alright, thank you, will try that! Aiming for gold, haha!

Dang, i ran it for a couple of minutes and it peaked at 96c. Do you think i should do something?
Hmm if it was me I'd reduce the overclock and voltages just by a bit. But no, you don't HAVE to do anything. Prime95 is unrealistic in the load it puts on the CPU, what's good is that it didn't hit 100C. But now you know you won't go over 96C no matter what you're doing, unless you run crazy tests on your CPU all the time.

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
Hmm if it was me I'd reduce the overclock and voltages just by a bit. But no, you don't HAVE to do anything. Prime95 is unrealistic in the load it puts on the CPU, what's good is that it didn't hit 100C. But now you know you won't go over 96C no matter what you're doing, unless you run crazy tests on your CPU all the time.

thank you, but i dont think ill reduce it, because then id basically be back to stock :D

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
You could always upgrade to a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. They are super powerful coolers. You can run a 5GHz overclock on a 9900K with one.

Nah, im good, i recently bought this one, and i dont think ill ever spend that much on a cooler, at this point i think itd be better to buy a whole new pc :D

But thank you for everything!