[SOLVED] High temps Gigabyte RTX 2080 TI Aorus Xtreme

Josh36

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Hi,

I recently traded my 3070 Aorus Master for a 9 month old RTX 2080 TI Aorus Xtreme (was concerned about the 8gb VRAM)

I've overclocked it to +100 core and +750 memory.

During prolonged Unigine Heaven runs, it hits and stays at a max of 82 degrees.

Should I be concerned about these temperatures? I neither mine or do anything but gaming. I have read that it's fairly common for this model (even the 3070 Aorus was a hot card)
My head is telling me these temps are fine, nor does the noise bother me but my paranoia tells me to ask here as well.

Will this temperature bother the card? As in reduce its lifespan or damage it? I intend to keep it for at least 3 years at this stage. I know replacing the thermal paste could help but I'm scared of voiding the warranty or messing something up.

Thanks

Solution
It's fine - worry when it starts sitting at 85C or higher.
You can't be too concerned about thermals if you're applying an overclock...

Still using the Enthoo Pro M? That's a good chassis. I reckon the gpu cooler may not be that good:
Gigabyte 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme (366w power limit, :whistle:)
Gigabyte 3070 Aorus Master (300w power limit)
Hmm, that plastic crap on the sides of both gpu shrouds might be hindering cooling... :unsure:

I know replacing the thermal paste could help but I'm scared of voiding the warranty or messing something up.
Well, that's your call. No one can force you.
If you change your mind, some Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H2/H1 would be nice. Don't use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut; it's likely to dry...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's fine - worry when it starts sitting at 85C or higher.
You can't be too concerned about thermals if you're applying an overclock...

Still using the Enthoo Pro M? That's a good chassis. I reckon the gpu cooler may not be that good:
Gigabyte 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme (366w power limit, :whistle:)
Gigabyte 3070 Aorus Master (300w power limit)
Hmm, that plastic crap on the sides of both gpu shrouds might be hindering cooling... :unsure:

I know replacing the thermal paste could help but I'm scared of voiding the warranty or messing something up.
Well, that's your call. No one can force you.
If you change your mind, some Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H2/H1 would be nice. Don't use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut; it's likely to dry out before you get 3 years out of it, forcing you to open it up again.

TL;DR: It's safe. Enjoy the card.

Reactions: Josh36 and dotas1
Solution

Josh36

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, still using the Enthoo Pro M, 6 Corsair ML 120s, so the airflow is pretty reasonable.

Finally managed to get the temperatures down by undervolting it, 72c while gaming, 76c in Furmark, with no performance loss.

Thanks for the advice, once the warranty has run out in 2 years, I'll have a crack at repasting it.