[SOLVED] High Temps Idle 61C-80

Anthoniko Carroll

Honorable
Apr 10, 2015
Just finished building my PC and like topic says, receiving high temps. It was only in BIOS and fan would spike hard randomly and temps kept rising to a max of 80.

I tried reseating it FOUR times (cleaning and re-applying thermal paste of course) and nothing changed. However, when I undervalued it dropped to 45-65. Is this normal? I want to buy a new cooler but these temps compared to others I see has me worried.

Board: Asus B550-F GAMING

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7

GPU: 1070 ROG STRIX

RAM: VENGEANCE 16GB 3600

PSU: 650W

CPU COOLER: Stock (Wraith)

Windows 10

Solution
...Is this normal? ...

An effect of it's hot-spot measurement technique, temperatures will seem to run hotter in Ryzen 5000 CPU's. And since the OS isn't loaded, so no power management features are running, temperature in BIOS is normally hotter too. But 80C does seem a bit high, although still safe for the CPU; a proper aftermarket cooler will a lot with that and be quieter in the process.

Once set up a custom fan profile does wonders for preventing the fan pulsing that happens with an eagerly boosting processor like a Ryzen is. Also, undervolt using PBO and Curve Optimizer. It really works to boost performance while helping keep the processor cooler at the same time.
Yeah, as you said, first port of call is to get a decent after market cooler, the wraith's are best described as 'adequate.' I use a be quiet dark rock slim and was surprised how cool the 5600X runs. Your temps are well within range so I wouldnt worry about it too much but a new cooler is a good idea. Are all your drivers, (chipset,gpu etc) up to date? What BIOS are you currently running?

Reactions: drea.drechsler
...Is this normal? ...

An effect of it's hot-spot measurement technique, temperatures will seem to run hotter in Ryzen 5000 CPU's. And since the OS isn't loaded, so no power management features are running, temperature in BIOS is normally hotter too. But 80C does seem a bit high, although still safe for the CPU; a proper aftermarket cooler will a lot with that and be quieter in the process.

Once set up a custom fan profile does wonders for preventing the fan pulsing that happens with an eagerly boosting processor like a Ryzen is. Also, undervolt using PBO and Curve Optimizer. It really works to boost performance while helping keep the processor cooler at the same time.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
High idle temps indicate a flawed cooler install.
Was there possibly a mylar protective film on the cooler that you did not remove?
Here is a link on how to install an amd cooler:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-7

Whenever you need to remount a cooler, you must clean off the old paste and reapply new. Alcohol and a coffee filter paper will do the job.

If you are looking for a cooler replacement, noctua coolers are about the easiest to install.
Here is noctua's list of suitable coolers for the 5600x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-1047
The NH-U12s redux is suitable for about $50.
I would bypass that since it comes with pre-applied paste.
The other coolers come with sufficient paste for a number of reinstallations.