[SOLVED] high temps idle Ryzen 3600

Jul 11, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have just upgraded my computer with a Corsair H100I RGB to hopefully fix some high temperatures I was getting with my arctic 34 Duo (running idle at about 56 degrees Celcius). While trying to get the best performance out of this cooler, I got some after market thermal paste (arctic MX-4) and after installing it I was getting 50 and 69 degrees Celcius on my CPU, I then remounted and reapplied more thermal paste attempting to better tighten the screws aswell to hopefully fix the issue, this did not fix the issue.

My brother has the same cooler and CPU as me and is getting 30 degrees Celcius, is there something wrong with my cooler or have I done something wrong.

Hopefully this is a simple fix.

thank you,

Specs:
Ryzen 3600 @ stock speeds
32GB Corsair vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum SE with stock 2x LL 120 fans

Solution
Hello,
My fans on the radiator are mounted to push air through it. It is currently mounted at the top of my case.
The fans are spinning I can feel air coming through the top of the case.
I have installed the component the same way it is shown in the video.
Its plug my block in with the SATA for power, the pump wire is connected to the motherboard and the USB cable is connected straight to the motherboard.

and its a fairly big mid-tower case three fans at the front pulling air in and two fans at the top pulling air through the radiator and one at the back on low RPM just to move air towards the radiator.
Thanks for the info, the biggest thing to note here is that, just like on a car, you want your radiator to recieve cool air...

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Hi,

What size case are you using? (although if you are able to mount a 240mm rad its not going to be too small)
How do you have your fans configured? (where in the case are they and which ones are pulling and pushing/ which ones are intake and which ones are exhaust fans?
Finally one thing it might be is what did you plug the AIO into? afaik the H100i uses one SATA power connector, one 3 pin connector, a USB connection and the two 3pins from the rad fans, I'm assuming you followed the instructions but this might also be a reason for issues. (Here's a video guide on installation by corsair
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RmMKwC5hA&feature=youtu.be
)
You should also verify the fans on the rad are spinning.

Jul 11, 2020
Hello,
My fans on the radiator are mounted to push air through it. It is currently mounted at the top of my case.
Its plug my block in with the SATA for power, the pump wire is connected to the motherboard and the USB cable is connected straight to the motherboard.

and its a fairly big mid-tower case three fans at the front pulling air in and two fans at the top pulling air through the radiator and one at the back on low RPM just to move air towards the radiator.

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks for the info, the biggest thing to note here is that, just like on a car, you want your radiator to recieve cool air, as the radiator has a higher cooling capacity with cooler air.
The way you've described this it sounds like your radiator is getting it's air from inside the case and not the outside (correct me if I'm wrong). If your GPU and Motherboard etc. are heating up the air inside the case, your radiator has a reduced cooling capacity and cannot physically cool your cpu below the air temperature (50-60 CPU temp at idle isn't that unlikely if the air the rad is recieving is already at say 50°.
So my suggestion is to reverse your current fan setup, so that your radiator pulls air in from from the outside and the hot air is then exhausted at the front. You could also try keeping the front fans as intakes and only have the single rear fan as an exhaust fan, this may or may not get you better results, but either one of these changes should drop your CPU temps to something more expected, as long as your rad is taking on air from the outside, instead of the inside. If this doesn't help let me know!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS