High temps in completely new build...

manyaak

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Hey guys. As the title says I get very high temps on a new built PC. I've builded it myself, even applied my own thermal paste on the cpu (arctic mx4) and even when browsing chrome my CPU is like 40-43 degrees celsius. Watched like 5 videos on youtube at the same time just to be sure that what I was doing was right.
The parts are:
i5-4690k
z97 D3H
500GB HDD
R9 280x
NZXT Hale v2

Reinstalled Windows 8.1 like 5 times... There's no dust to clean, so that's not the problem.
I tried playing Guild Wars 2 and my cpu temps went from 35 to 70-71 C and my gpu temps went from 40 to 82 C.
This is driving me nuts... I do not plan to overclock, that's why I'm using stock fans.
How can I fix this :) I want to play without worrying that I might fry my new PC...
Thanks for the help :)

Solution
If you only have 1 fan in the case, an additional. 2x fans for intake would be a great start. What you want to look for is a 120mm PWM fan that'll push 50+ CFM. If you want them as LED too, that's up to you. Put them in the front of your case and via a 2-way pwm splitter, attach to a single motherboard header.

With better airflow, its possible you could drop your temps 10+°C easily.

manyaak

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
The case is Thermaltake Versa H21. The case have only one fan. I have an extra NF A14, but I dont think I can place it in there without a heatsink(please correct me if Im wrong).
About the temps- I'm worrying because on one site i read that 70 is bad for CPU and the other I read that max r9 280x can reach 85 C without having any problems... I dont know if I should worry or just play, I hope I dont damage the PC..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
GW2 is very cpu intensive, so will work a cpu harder, creating heat. The r9 280 is quite a warm card too, so under gaming conditions with graphics at high/ultra settings, is going to create heat. The 4690k is a warm running cpu, especially when worked, more heat. All of this heat is trapped in your case, it's a closed in box. The heat from the gpu is pushed around the case, drawn in by the cpu fan, pushed back into the case, picked up by the gpu fan etc etc etc, and all this leads to less ability of the heatsinks to dissipate heat, so temps rise.

This is where airflow is of utmost importance. You and a good amount of cool air intake, from low front of case, and a good amount of hot air exhaust, from high rear. You are basically looking to create a breeze through your case, not a rotational airflow.

This can be accomplished in many ways, additional fans, upgraded cfm fans, changing bios settings from silent to performance, removing hdd cages and other obstacles that impede the airflow etc.

Pc's are not plug-n-play, especially user built, so will definitely require some period of tinkering, until settings and performance meet your satisfaction. This may or may not require additional parts like fans or aftermarket coolers. It's your pc after all, only you can tell when you are done tinkering.

manyaak

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Update: Just launched Guild Wars 2. Sorry for asking agan- Is this OK?
XnBVh15.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's fine. 70°C is a widely used 'safe' temp for Intel cpu's. Your cpu is good for @100°C, but just like any electronic gadget, continued exposure to excessive heat is not good. 70°C is not considered excessive as such, but when continuous temps over that start registering, that'll be when you need to start to worry. So, you are all good at 70°C, but if it climbs nearer to 80°C or beyond, you'll need to seriously take a good look at case and/or cpu cooling solutions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you only have 1 fan in the case, an additional. 2x fans for intake would be a great start. What you want to look for is a 120mm PWM fan that'll push 50+ CFM. If you want them as LED too, that's up to you. Put them in the front of your case and via a 2-way pwm splitter, attach to a single motherboard header.

With better airflow, its possible you could drop your temps 10+°C easily.

Solution