Question high temps new laptop till optimized cooling

Apr 4, 2019
hi, my intel i7 hex core 8th gen was reaching 100c and staying around 96-97c while gaming. its about 4 months old, there were bios updates that recently fixed the thermal issues, however im concerned about what kind of damage may have taken place. I have a friend who will replace the laptops TP with something decent for gaming, however curious as now temps max at about 75c and idling sits a lil high at about 35-40c its only a couple months old and the manufacturer had poor response to the demands of people for better cooling. we dont have fan control and i have had to undervolt temp throttle and use the coolest fan settings that they gave us. How long does TP take to wear down in those kind of settings and what sort of damage may be done to cpu or heat sink?

no reason to think any damage occurred, the cpu and motherboard will indeed throttle it at 100C, as you observed...

I'd be leery of tearing any laptop( especially one that is under warranty) to get to/replace it's thermal compound only to find the specific compound rarely makes more than a 1-2C difference....

In the future, I'd not buy any laptop for gaming that has not been tested by a 3rd party to handle that load thermally....as many do not handle it well, despite very competent CPU/GPU selection..

May 15, 2019
so with those temps you do not see a need to replace compound at this time?
I have a Asus Scar 2 with a 8750h and gtx 1070. I've repasted it 4 times already. Hopefully this helps you or anyone else researching like i've spent lots of time doing. I've went from Noctua NT-H2 to Gelid GC Extreme to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut back to Noctua NT-H2. Both Gelid and Kryonaut made my temps go up faster than Noctua. I used the dot method on the gpu and the line method on the cpu for all brands.