High temps on 7700K while gaming, is it normal?

patrykpanek3

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Hello, I bought 7700K 2 days ago with SilentiumPC Fera 3 cooler (it's pretty much the same as coolermaster Hyper EVO 212). I'm having some troubles with this CPU. While playing games like Witcher 3 or PUBG CPU temperature is around 70-75 degrees with only 40-50% usage and thats on base 4.5GHz clock. Second problem is that temperature is having random spikes even while idling. What I mean by that is when browsing internet temperature is usually around 40-45 degrees but can randomly jump to 65 degrees for 1 second. Also it seems like all cores are running at full speed of 4.5GHz all the time instead of 4.2GHz what I don't really understand. I already asked this question on steam forum and people told me it's normal for this CPU and I shoudn't worry because 75 degrees is safe temp for this CPU and it's hard to make this cpu run cooler without changing termal paste under IHS but I want to ask you guys is 75 degrees while gaming normal for 7700K? I ran CPU stress test for 5 minutes, all 4 cores were under 100% load and max temp I got was 85 degrees. I could also make mistakes while installing my CPU cooler, maybe I used too much termal paste...

What is your idle temperature?
If you mounted properly, I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.

What is your case?
Any cooler needs a source of fresh air to do it's job.

Under load, 75c. is not a problem.
The cpu will slow down or shut off to prevent damage if it senses a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Yes, too much paste is not good it acts as an insulator.
A small rice sized drop will spread under heat and pressure.

patrykpanek3

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

My idle temperature is 35-45 degrees, my case is Rayden 420B with 1 fan on back and 2 on front. I'll propably buy thermal grizzly paste and reinstall cooler this time using much less paste.

TRENDING THREADS