DerekForDayz

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi everyone. My i7 6700k @ 4.2 GHz is idling at 35 to 45 degrees Celsius with chrome and intel extreme tuning utility open. This isn't very high at all, but when I benchmark it with IETU, it goes up to the high 90s and thermal throttles. It is only running at 4.2 GHz. Any ideas on how to fix this?

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
Hi everyone. My i7 6700k @ 4.2 GHz is idling at 35 to 45 degrees Celsius with chrome and intel extreme tuning utility open. This isn't very high at all, but when I benchmark it with IETU, it goes up to the high 90s and thermal throttles. It is only running at 4.2 GHz. Any ideas on how to fix this?
reapply thermal paste maybe if that doesnt work then maybe deliding it will fix it

Before even considering a delid, make sure the cooler is actually working properly. A repaste may help, as there's a possibility that the block isn't properly torqued down. At basically stock clock that cooler is more than capable of cooling the cpu. Idle is high, depending on ambient room temps. Monitor pump speeds with icue software. Try adjusting it, as well as fan curves.

A delid will certainly help, BUT not without a properly functioning cooler.

Again, DO NOT DELID until sure cooler functions!