Question high temps on i7 9700k

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
I have a problem with my temps on my CPU. I'm running a 120mm aio from corsair and I see peak temps at around 87-90C. I've tried redoing thermal paste and clean the fans, but nothing helps. Is there anything I can do about this or should I just get a new cooler? I'm running it on a b360m-e tuf gaming from asus. haven't touched anything in the bios exept I put it on performance instead of power saving. It goes up to 4.6 gHz max.

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
Hi, thanks for answering. Before I put it on performance mode it was actually around the same. I have 3 front intake fans with no glass in front (removed it for better GPU cooling) I have a fan on the AIO that pulls air into it from the back, then i have a top fan for exhaust. The thing is that i had really bad gpu temp problems earlier, but that fixed itself with the top fan exhaust. I've seen temps at around 93 also when just playing games. I'm pretty sure I could mount a 240mm in the front, the top fan only has a hole for a 140 and that wont fit because of the motherboard. So the top fan is a 120. But I have no problems with temps anywhere else but the CPU. my gpu hits 65 at max with stock fan curve. Hope this can help, and again thanks for answering

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
but as I said, it also reaches these temps when just gaming. The thing is that it peaks at 87 real quick and then cpu turns itself down to 3.6 for a sec and temps get normal again. I don't notice any diffrence in FPS when it does it tho.

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
I7 9700k with the h60 cooler from corsair.

Gaming trio X 2070SUPER
16 gb 2666 mhz
TX650
B360m-e tuf gaming

256 GB m.2 SSD
4 TB 7200 harddrive

I have no idea what the case is called. It's a prebuilt machine from a gaming company in Denmark. I upgraded the CPU and GPU myself. 3 front fans 1 top fan and 1 in the back. I called them about the temps, and they say that turning the fan at the aio should help. I did and it did actually help. I might try to redo it to see if the temps get better that way. But I do think that a 240mm is the way to go. Is there someway i can take a picture of the PC and put it here?

Thanks

I think you are doing reasonable well with a 9700K and a small aio.
Yes, a photo of the case and fan arrangement would help.
Typically, if a case has at least two front 120/140mm air intakes you will be cooled well.
If you have 160mm height available for a good air cooler you can do much better with a noctua NH-D15s.
About $80 in the USA.
Not to worry, the processor monitors it's temperature and will slow down or even shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That is around 100c.

Reactions: Yatama

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
Alright, well I see i can only put pictures here that is on a website. Not sure how to do that. I'm pretty sure that I do have 160mm clearance for it, but im pretty sure it will interfere with my ram sticks. The NH-D15. I've been looking at it and its no doubt the best air cooler. The thing is that I can get the h100 platinum from corsair for the same price as the NH-D15.. so what should I choose?

I'd personally choose the NH-D15 if you have enough sink mounting height clearance...(165mm?)

Many of the huge pumped rigs do cool the most extreme rigs better however. (I'd think the 9700K would be handled fine by the NH-D15 at stock clock speeds or even with all-core MCE action at turbo freqs... (certainly temps should be ~10C cooler than you were seeing with the 120mm setup...

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
(EDIT: someone else recently posted their results of only 70-72C with 5 GHz OC on an NH-D15....; so an AIO and their typical pump failures or degradation due to contaminants/buildup/gunk 18-24 months later is hardly mandatory)
Alright, Seems like that's gonna be the choise then. Now I have another question, will it even fit on my motherboard (Asus b360-m-e TUF gaming)?

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
(EDIT: someone else recently posted their results of only 70-72C with 5 GHz OC on an NH-D15....; so an AIO and their typical pump failures or degradation due to contaminants/buildup/gunk 18-24 months later is hardly mandatory)
Looking on Noctuas website, it says it's not compatible..

Mar 7, 2019
Well my suggestion is upgrade your cooler to a 240 liquid cooler, instead of buy a 80 usd fan, it almost the same price on amazon. even not corsair 240, other brand also have some good product, also the temp change is more better then add fan.

Looking on Noctuas website, it says it's not compatible..

Says what is not compatible with what? (It's listed as compatible on Noctua's CPU compatibility chart; but, since I don't know what you were referrinng to, difficult to speculate)
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/cpucomp

It's a socket 1151 conventional air cooler...one of the best there is.

It will work with the 9700K....(I've seen the 9700K be marginal with some other smaller air coolers, but, the D15 is one of the better air coolers, period)

Last edited:

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
Says what is not compatible with what? (It's listed as compatible on Noctua's CPU compatibility chart; but, since I don't know what you were referrinng to, difficult to speculate)
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/cpucomp

It's a socket 1151 conventional air cooler...one of the best there is.

It will work with the 9700K....(I've seen the 9700K be marginal with some other smaller air coolers, but, the D15 is one of the better air coolers, period)
Alright thanks everyone for answering. After doing some research on motherboard compatibility, I think I will go for the U12A. It fits in my case and it fits on my motherboard.

Yatama

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
UPDATE: I received the cooler today. Temps are maxing out at 72 with full load in aida64. so thats a really nice decrease in temps. Thank you all for giving your tips