Question High Temps on My 3900x

Dec 5, 2019
I bought my 3900x a few months ago. Out of the box I used the stock Prism cooler and I was getting very high temps. I did a lot of research and I decided to turn PBO off in BIOS. This made me not run at 75 degrees at idle, but a more managable 60 degrees. Under loads however, it would get considerably high, up to 95 degrees at some points. I went ahead and tried reseating my cpu cooler multiple times, all with no improvement. So I decided it was finally time to get something better than the stock cooler. I bought a Noctua NH-15. I did a lot of research and decided this was the best one to go for me. Once I got it installed I tried turning PBO back on in BIOS because I figured that my temps were high before because the stock cooler was bad. I was wrong, with PBO on and my new cooler I was getting up to 90 degrees playing some minor games. I went back to BIOS and turned PBO off and I now idle 10 degrees less than what I did with the stock cooler at around 50 degrees. I can play games at high settings with PBO off and stay under 70 degrees comfortably. I just feel like I spent this much money on a chip that takes advantage of PBO and the only way I can use it is with PBO turned off, so its a waste of money. My question is if anyone has a fix. If not, I was planning on possibly doing an RMA because maybe I got a faulty chip I'm not sure. I was also thinking about downgrading to a 3600 or 3700x. I would just like some suggestions to my problem, thanks.

My build:
Ryzen 9 3900x with Noctua NH-D15 Cooler with both fans on
Gigabyte x470 AORUS Ultra Gaming BIOS Version F50
RX 5700XT

Dec 5, 2019
What kind of case and fan setup do you have?

What room temperature?
I have the corsair Spec Omega RGB. It came with 2 120mm fans, I added 2 more 120mm intake fans and 2 140mm exhaust fans. Theyre the Be quiet Pure wings 2 PWM case fans. My room temp is 70 degrees Fahrenheit

My room is at 63 Fahrenheith and I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 with a 3900X and my idle temp is 35C. The moment I open something the CPU cores spikes and it goes to 60C. Cinebench 70C. Games around the same.

You sure the thermal paste is properly applied? You did not forget to remove the plastic thing protecting the thermal paste on the heatsink? Is the cooler properly installed and making contact with the CPU? 90C is too high for this Noctua.

Dec 5, 2019
My room is at 63 Fahrenheith and I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 with a 3900X and my idle temp is 35C. The moment I open something the CPU cores spikes and it goes to 60C. Cinebench 70C. Games around the same.

You sure the thermal paste is properly applied? You did not forget to remove the plastic thing protecting the thermal paste on the heatsink? Is the cooler properly installed and making contact with the CPU? 90C is too high for this Noctua.

Yeah the thermal paste is fine I have built 10+ PCs for my friends and I, never with any temperature problems. I have reapplied and reseated this cooler and the stock cooler multiple times to possibly fix the problem. I was considering either the Dark Rock 4 or the Noctua, obviously I went the Noctua. but I dont think this is the coolers fault, out of the box my 3900x was running way too high of temps even on stock cooler.

Dec 5, 2019
Also, I have had some minor issues with my motherboard in the past (not related to cpu or cpu temps) and I had the same board in another build and it went bad. Is it possible that a bad mobo could lead to these high of temps or is it most likely a bad chip?