Question High temps on my Aorus RTX 3070

Mar 8, 2023
I recently upgrade my ryzen 5 5600x to the 5800x3D and since then my gpu temps got high. I remember playing dead space remake on first day and my gpu temps were like 59° C - 65° C max, but now it reaches like 80° C. I have some questions about it, is the new cpu has something to do with it? I undervolt it with PBO and the temps on the cpu while gaming are like 57° C max, also my ambient temps are like 29° - 32° C, i dont kno if that also affects the gpu temps...i've been watching vids about undervolting or power limit my gpu but not sure if that the ideal thing to do. Hope you guys could help me with your knowledge. Thanks in advance!

My pc setting are:
Aorus B550 pro AX rev.1
Aorus RTX 3070 master
32gb Aorus ram with xmp activate at 3777Mhz
Aorus liquid cooler x240
Case Cooler Master Masterbox mb530p

I assume the new CPU is pushing higher frames than the old one, so this will make your GPU work harder and get hotter.

There is always the possibility that while installing the new CPU and it's cooler, you knocked the graphics card causing it's cooler to move slightly and disturbed the thermal interface with the GPU. If this is the case, new thermal paste would help, but often you need to replace thermal pads too, depending on the card, so only do this as a last resort.

Mar 8, 2023
I assume the new CPU is pushing higher frames than the old one, so this will make your GPU work harder and get hotter.

There is always the possibility that while installing the new CPU and it's cooler, you knocked the graphics card causing it's cooler to move slightly and disturbed the thermal interface with the GPU. If this is the case, new thermal paste would help, but often you need to replace thermal pads too, depending on the card, so only do this as a last resort.
Yes, i notice some improvemnents on the fps, so i assume is normal the gpu gets hotter? Also the ambien temperature affects on the gpu? So, would you recomend undervolt the gpu or set a power limit to lower the temps on it? I will consider the termal paste tho, for last resort

Undervolting can definitely reduce heat, but it can also cause micro stutters, so ideally you want to run some GPU benchmarking tool which monitors the lows as well as average if you do decide to go that way and only make small changes at a time.
Yes, ambient temperature will have an effect on GPU temps, but not by all that much. Definitely push more frames out of it and making it work harder will push up temps, you can overcome some of this by manually setting fan speeds etc or try the undervolting.

Reactions: Boliisho