Question High Temps on Noctua NH-U12A

Aug 21, 2019
Hi everyone, I just bought the Noctua NH-U12A based on the recommendations of several tech YouTubers. I installed it in my system and got everything up and running only to be shocked at how high the temperatures are. Running my 6700K at stock settings and using HW Monitor to check temperatures while playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I'm getting 80 degrees!!! Is this normal? I'm so frustrated I spent all this money to get such disappointing results. Can anyone think of any reason this is happening?

That does seem awful high, but AC Odyssey actually uses AVX instruction set and might not be the best indicator of normal temps. I remember AC Origin, after playing for an hour or more, would give my i7-7700K slightly higher temps than Prime95 would. That was with a Cryorig H7 and the temps playing AC Origin would reach 86C sometimes, but mostly stayed around 75C-ish.

Aug 21, 2019
I knew that AC Odyssey was an exceptionally demanding game, which is precisely why I tested it when I was trying to assess the capabilities of my new cooler. I bought the Noctua NH-U12A to replace the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, which was running at the exact same temperatures I'm now getting with the more expensive Noctua cooler. Linus Tech Tips benchmarked this thing on a 9700K overclocked to 5.0 GHz and it stayed at just 76-79 degrees! How is my 6700K running hotter than that?!? Are my fans blowing the wrong direction? What on Earth is causing this?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS