[SOLVED] High temps on Ryzen 3600

tru3gam3r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
First, the build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.82 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($147.12 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($152.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $944.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-25 00:52 EDT-0400

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

Recently upgraded from an i5-4460/H81m to the above setup. Fresh windows install.

Extremely high temperatures under load, and semi-high idle. After about 5 seconds in prime95 (small FFTs) I reach 95C. My idle fluctuates between 45-60C.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

I first took the stock cooler off, and re-pasted. Used the Pea method. Temps were about the same. Then, I bought a Reeven E12 (reviews put this at a slightly better cooler than a 212 EVO), and I added both another front case fan and a fan behind the heatsink (effectively a push-pull setup). I pasted this time with a rice grain shape. Temps are again, identical. Maybe worse. Idle is a bit better, stays under 50C now for the most part.

I'm measuring everything in Ryzen Master.

All the settings on the motherboard are completely stock, the only thing I have enabled is A-XMP so that I can use my ram at the box speed. PBO is set to auto.

I don't know what else to do.

Is the CPU temp sensor broken? I find it hard to believe I was cooling an 84W i5-4460 on the stock Intel cooler WITHOUT all the extra fans and <Mod Edit> I added to my case, and I somehow cant cool a 65w 3600? I am so close to just RMAing the chip or the mobo or something. Could someone help? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Definitely came with AM4 bracket, at least mine did. I've seen reviews testing it on some older Ryzen chips too. Room temp is around 20-25C, depending on the weather. About 21C during all my tests though.

Your temperatures looks very close to what you should have really. You won't see 30C idle temperature with a Zen 2 CPU with that cooler. If you had let's say the best noctua air cooler your CPU would idle at like low 30's to low 40's depending on the fan setup and room temperature. My 3900X idle at 33C. That's pretty good but it's like 5C outside and my room temperature is like 16C and I have a dark rock pro 4.

So I'd say that if you have low 40's right now at idle and you see spikes to 60C which is normal for a Ryzen CPU...
First, the build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.82 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($147.12 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($152.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $944.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-25 00:52 EDT-0400

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

Recently upgraded from an i5-4460/H81m to the above setup. Fresh windows install.

Extremely high temperatures under load, and semi-high idle. After about 5 seconds in prime95 (small FFTs) I reach 95C. My idle fluctuates between 45-60C.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

I first took the stock cooler off, and re-pasted. Used the Pea method. Temps were about the same. Then, I bought a Reeven E12 (reviews put this at a slightly better cooler than a 212 EVO), and I added both another front case fan and a fan behind the heatsink (effectively a push-pull setup). I pasted this time with a rice grain shape. Temps are again, identical. Maybe worse. Idle is a bit better, stays under 50C now for the most part.

I'm measuring everything in Ryzen Master.

All the settings on the motherboard are completely stock, the only thing I have enabled is A-XMP so that I can use my ram at the box speed. PBO is set to auto.

I don't know what else to do.

Is the CPU temp sensor broken? I find it hard to believe I was cooling an 84W i5-4460 on the stock Intel cooler WITHOUT all the extra fans and <Mod Edit> I added to my case, and I somehow cant cool a 65w 3600? I am so close to just RMAing the chip or the mobo or something. Could someone help? Thanks in advance.

Did the Reeven E12 came with an AM4 bracket? Says AM2+3 bracket in the reviews. What is your room temperature?

Last edited by a moderator:

tru3gam3r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Did the Reeven E12 came with an AM4 bracket? Says AM2+3 bracket in the reviews. What is your room temperature?

Definitely came with AM4 bracket, at least mine did. I've seen reviews testing it on some older Ryzen chips too. Room temp is around 20-25C, depending on the weather. About 21C during all my tests though.

Your temperatures looks very close to what you should have really. You won't see 30C idle temperature with a Zen 2 CPU with that cooler. If you had let's say the best noctua air cooler your CPU would idle at like low 30's to low 40's depending on the fan setup and room temperature. My 3900X idle at 33C. That's pretty good but it's like 5C outside and my room temperature is like 16C and I have a dark rock pro 4.

So I'd say that if you have low 40's right now at idle and you see spikes to 60C which is normal for a Ryzen CPU. They spikes. Cores sleeping waking up spiking to 60C is a normal thing.

What are you temperatures in games? CPU and GPU. If you see 75C on the CPU and under 80C on the GPU I would call that normal for the type of cooler you're using.

What about the CPU voltage? What is it at idle and at load?

Solution

tru3gam3r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

So I'd say that if you have low 40's right now at idle and you see spikes to 60C which is normal for a Ryzen CPU. They spikes. Cores sleeping waking up spiking to 60C is a normal thing.

What are you temperatures in games? CPU and GPU. If you see 75C on the CPU and under 80C on the GPU I would call that normal for the type of cooler you're using.

What about the CPU voltage? What is it at idle and at load?

I'm actually extremely stupid, turns out I managed to forget to remove a sticker on the base of the cooler.
pr6UD6c.jpg

Removed, re-pasted using Kryonaut, and we're at 30-40C idle and 65C after 10 minutes in Prime95 Small FFTs.

I appreciate your help though! thanks so much, you guys are great

I'm actually extremely stupid, turns out I managed to forget to remove a sticker on the base of the cooler.
pr6UD6c.jpg

Removed, re-pasted using Kryonaut, and we're at 30-40C idle and 65C after 10 minutes in Prime95 Small FFTs.

I appreciate your help though! thanks so much, you guys are great

Well this is something I should have asked you. That damn plastic sticker lol.

Your temperatures are more than fine now. I'm happy you found the issue :)