[SOLVED] High temps on Ryzen 9 5950x ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2022
Hi guys

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Recently I managed to get a really good deal on a 5950X and upgraded from my R5 2600. Currently, I'm using a Corsair H100 AIO (3 months old) for my cooling and from what I can see it's not really working too well.

Corsair H100 RGB 240mm Closed Loop All-In-One Liquid Cooler |

On idle I'm seeing between 60-70C and playing most games after some time (1-2 hours) of playing I'm seeing 85-91C. As soon as I run a Cinebench R23 test I see the temperature hit 88-90C to which they would likely reach 91-92C at sustained usage (10min).

The above is after I've set pump & fan speed to 100% (fans and pump) and ensured that all fans are set to PWM mode, the AIO pump is currently plugged into the CPU_OPT header and the fan is connecting into CPU_FAN header. When I take off my tempered glass side panel I see about a 3-5C drop in temp, I've also ensured that AIO has proper mounting pressure as well as repasted with Cooler master gel pro paste twice (put on a bit more than needed).

Currently, I'm running an undervolt with all cores set to negative 16 offset and PBO on in the hopes that I can squeeze out some better thermals.

My main questions are

Are these temps normal?
Would getting an H150i fix the issue and get me to about 75-80C at peak load?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Solution
Hi guys

Recently I managed to get a really good deal on a 5950X and upgraded from my R5 2600. Currently, I'm using a Corsair H100 AIO (3 months old) for my cooling and from what I can see it's not really working too well.

On idle I'm seeing between 60-70C and playing most games after some time (1-2 hours) of playing I'm seeing 85-91C. As soon as I run a Cinebench R23 test I see the temperature hit 88-90C to which they would likely reach 91-92C at sustained usage (10min).

The above is after I've set pump & fan speed to 100% (fans and pump) and ensured that all fans are set to PWM mode, the AIO pump is...
Hi guys

The above is after I've set pump & fan speed to 100% (fans and pump) and ensured that all fans are set to PWM mode, the AIO pump is currently plugged into the CPU_OPT header and the fan is connecting into CPU_FAN header. When I take off my tempered glass side panel I see about a 3-5C drop in temp, I've also ensured that AIO has proper mounting pressure as well as repasted with Cooler master gel pro paste twice (put on a bit more than needed).

Currently, I'm running an undervolt with all cores set to negative 16 offset and PBO on in the hopes that I can squeeze out some better thermals.

My main questions are

Are these temps normal?
Would getting an H150i fix the issue and get me to about 75-80C at peak load?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: You are undervolting with curve optimizer which is probably improving performance, as it's supposed to. But that doesn't really lower thermals because the boost algorithm is using the high temp limit as a target. So it continues boosting until it hits 90C (or exceeds one or more other boost limiters) by design but at a lower voltage.

But also, if taking the side panel off makes a difference in CPU temps then case airflow is clearly sub-optimal. What case do you have? how is your radiator mounted? Is the front restricting airflow with a solid beauty panel?

Solution
Jan 15, 2022
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: You are undervolting with curve optimizer which is probably improving performance, as it's supposed to. But that doesn't really lower thermals because the boost algorithm is using the high temp limit as a target. So it continues boosting until it hits 90C (or exceeds one or more other boost limiters) by design but at a lower voltage.

But also, if taking the side panel off makes a difference in CPU temps then case airflow is clearly sub-optimal. What case do you have? how is your radiator mounted? Is the front restricting airflow with a solid beauty panel?

Thanks for the feedback, I've seen some articles indicating that 90C should be fine for full load but I'm seeing 90ish degrees when playing games that'll only utilize around 4-6 cores albeit at a higher frequency.

To get better temps I've taken the front panel permanently but the temps provided were actually those with that panel off. When it's on it's slightly higher.

For reference, I'm using a Corsair Carbide 275R I have the radiator front-mounted with a dust cover on in-front minus the panel.

Fan layout would be the 2 behind the radiator for intake, there is one 120mm chassis fan mounted on the top of the case that's exhaust and 1 exhaust 120mm fan at the back.

What's got me worried is that I see other posts online of people saying that their max temps is around 75-85C when doing prolonged runs of R23 Cinebench. Where in my case, the moment I run a multicore test the thermals spike from about 65 to 90C immediately.

Thanks for the feedback, I've seen some articles indicating that 90C should be fine for full load but I'm seeing 90ish degrees when playing games that'll only utilize around 4-6 cores albeit at a higher frequency.

To get better temps I've taken the front panel permanently but the temps provided were actually those with that panel off. When it's on it's slightly higher.

For reference, I'm using a Corsair Carbide 275R I have the radiator front-mounted with a dust cover on in-front minus the panel.

Fan layout would be the 2 behind the radiator for intake, there is one 120mm chassis fan mounted on the top of the case that's exhaust and 1 exhaust 120mm fan at the back.

What's got me worried is that I see other posts online of people saying that their max temps is around 75-85C when doing prolonged runs of R23 Cinebench. Where in my case, the moment I run a multicore test the thermals spike from about 65 to 90C immediately.

Things to do: first is make sure you're running the latest BIOS for your board; if you update be sure to reset CMOS after. Also run the latest chipset driver, download it only from the AMD support web site to make sure you have the latest.

Run the Balanced power plan. Open Power and Sleep settings applet, choose your energy option; I use the middle (Better Performance).

Now get HWInfo to monitor temperature. Look for the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) report. You can right click on it and put a graph on the desk and then use your computer a while.

That's the best way to get most useful temperatures of Ryzen CPU's, plus to make sure they're operating correctly with power/energy saving features.

Jan 15, 2022
Things to do: first is make sure you're running the latest BIOS for your board; if you update be sure to reset CMOS after. Also run the latest chipset driver, download it only from the AMD support web site to make sure you have the latest.

Run the Balanced power plan. Open Power and Sleep settings applet, choose your energy option; I use the middle (Better Performance).

Now get HWInfo to monitor temperature. Look for the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) report. You can right click on it and put a graph on the desk and then use your computer a while.

That's the best way to get most useful temperatures of Ryzen CPU's, plus to make sure they're operating correctly with power/energy saving features.
Unfortunately, I already am running the latest BIOS and chipset drivers. Didn't know about the graph though so ill be sure to use it in the future!

I've ordered a H150i Capellix that should be coming in Monday that I'm hoping fixes this issue but was hoping I could try a few things before I send this AIO for RMA

Unfortunately, I already am running the latest BIOS and chipset drivers. Didn't know about the graph though so ill be sure to use it in the future!

I've ordered a H150i Capellix that should be coming in Monday that I'm hoping fixes this issue but was hoping I could try a few things before I send this AIO for RMA
Since you're demounting what you have...move it to the front and try it in that position. You might end up quite surprised.

The H150i will be a better AIO, it's certainly better be for the price difference. It's a lot prettier for one...but more important is the pump's should be quieter. I have to turn the pump on my 120mm ID cooler down a tad or it makes the most annoying moaning sound. Not loud, just annoying. I think they use two-pole pump motors to keep it cheap and that happens.

And BTW...if not discussed yet...be sure your pump is at full speed all the time if it's not. That's the best way for AIO's, and why I'm annoyed so much about my 120mm unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChangeLord
Jan 15, 2022
Since you're demounting what you have...move it to the front and try it in that position. You might end up quite surprised.

The H150i will be a better AIO, it's certainly better be for the price difference. It's a lot prettier for one...but more important is the pump's should be quieter. I have to turn the pump on my 120mm ID cooler down a tad or it makes the most annoying moaning sound. Not loud, just annoying. I think they use two-pole pump motors to keep it cheap and that happens.

And BTW...if not discussed yet...be sure your pump is at full speed all the time if it's not. That's the best way for AIO's, and why I'm annoyed so much about my 120mm unit.

I've got the current H100 running at 100% speed for both fans and pump but I don't quite hear it really. Apparently, pumps are supposed to be relatively loud but even on 100% I'm not hearing much. I'm also told that there should be some vibration in the tubes from the pump to the radiator but I only really feel a slight vibration. I've checked around and the pipes are supposed to get quite warm but I don't know if it's because mine is braided but it's lukewarm at best?

In the front of the case where the rad is mounted, I can definitely feel that it's getting quite toasty though.

I've got the current H100...

Hah...for some reason I though you had an ID Cooling 240 AIO.

I don't feel any significant heat or vibration on the hoses for either of my systems (with a 240mm CM AIO) or my sons (the one with the 120mm ID Cooling AIO).

If your system is at 'idle', meaning just Windows' normal background tasks, the AIO should not be outputting any significant heat at all. If it is then something's running that's heating up your CPU. If there is, try to find that.

BookieM

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2015
I've had almost the same problem.I've changed my CM Masterliquid 240L v2 rgb to NZXT Kraken x63.Turned on my computer,and I almost get shocked....Same high temperatures!! HWinfo,few more measurement software shows the same.I started to think that my new CPU have a some kind of defect.Then Ive had idea to reinstall Windows 11 and voila!...my temperatures are normal now.On some AAA game with highest settings on 3440x1440 my temps hits 83c, not more than that.Iam happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.