High temps w/ 8700k and H100i v2. Goes away for a week with new thermal paste

Jan 3, 2019
I have an 8700k with a corsair h100i v2. Temps will shoot up to 70 when playing CounterStrike. Over the past couple months, I have reapplied thermal paste to my CPU and I will have great temps for about a week, then my CPU overheats very easily. I thought I might have bad paste, but I recently got one these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKVW18G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and temps are still high. AIO has a hot tube and a cold tube so it seems like it's not the cooler. Really just kinda lost.

Solution
The Hyper 212 EVO is a $25 budget entry level cooler which, in my opinion, is inadequate to cool a 6 Core / 12 Thread processor that can easily exceed it's rated TDP (Thermal Design Power). Personally, I would never mount a 212 on an 8700K. In contrast, the NH-D15 is arguably the best air cooler money can buy, is appropriate for an 8700K, and will serve you well. However, sometime down the road as your CPU begins to fade in the shadow of advancements in technology, you may change your mind (as do many users) and decide to overclock, in which case you won't need to upgrade or replace the NH-D15.

CT :sol:
Jan 3, 2019

Hmm, hard to tell if I'm touching the pump, but if I hold the hoses, I can feel vibrations. Maybe its from the Rad fans, but I think its water moving through them.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Q: How old is your AIO?

There are four problems with AIO's:

(1) All AIO's will eventually fail. It’s not a question of if; it’s a question of when. Pumps have moving parts that wear out, so those which run 24/7/365 are prone to premature failure. AIO units are notorious for failures due to inferior pump quality, whereas custom loops typically use high-end pumps which have greater longevity.

(2) Coolant can evaporate over time due to "permeation" which can cause impeller "cavitation" due to bubbles.

(3) AIO's are sealed Closed Loop Coolers (CLC), which unlike custom loops, are not designed to be cleaned of sediments and refilled.

(4) Also unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediment over time. Even new AIO's may contain sediment due to inadequate flushing after being manufactured. Some particles can become relatively large over time, which can create blockages resulting in flow problems.

Simply installing, moving, tipping, handling or otherwise disturbing the unit, new or old, is enough to dislodge particles, whereupon the next power-up, the now free-floating particles can circulate into the impeller chamber and restrict or completely stop the impeller. Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the motor (no direct shaft), the motor will continue to run while the impeller is stalled or stopped. So "hearing" the motor running or "feeling" vibration does not indicate flow, nor does Pump RPM in various software utilities.

Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to verify. Under normal operation, even at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. However, if one tube is hot while the other is cool, it indicates little to no flow. This can be verified by checking the tubes with an infrared (IR) thermometer. Further, if the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it also indicates little to no flow.

• The information you've provided points to an AIO restriction or blockage problem which is causing little to no flow.

Q: For troubleshooting purposes, do you have an air cooler to temporarily swap out with your AIO? Even the original stock cooler is good enough to change the thermal behavior, which will verify the problem as well as your troubleshooting steps.

I recommend that you RMA your H100i v2. Corsair AIO's have a 5 year warranty, which to their credit, they typically honor without difficulty. This problem will most likely be solved by an RMA replacement.

Jan 3, 2019

1. My AIO is somewhere between three and four years old. I actually didn't realize it had been that long until I thought about this question. Yeah, it's probably the AIO

2. I do not have an air cooler for this CPU. I got this cooler as an upgrade for a previous processor and carried it over to this build. I do not have a need to overclock. If I somehow cannot replace my cooler under warranty, I have heard good things about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo) and the Noctua NH-D15 (https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546667221&sr=8-3&keywords=noctua+nh+d15). In your experience, would one of these air cooler be enough for my 8700k with moderate loads at base clock?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The Hyper 212 EVO is a $25 budget entry level cooler which, in my opinion, is inadequate to cool a 6 Core / 12 Thread processor that can easily exceed it's rated TDP (Thermal Design Power). Personally, I would never mount a 212 on an 8700K. In contrast, the NH-D15 is arguably the best air cooler money can buy, is appropriate for an 8700K, and will serve you well. However, sometime down the road as your CPU begins to fade in the shadow of advancements in technology, you may change your mind (as do many users) and decide to overclock, in which case you won't need to upgrade or replace the NH-D15.

Solution