Question High temps when overclocking i7 7700k to 5ghz at 1.29V

Mar 17, 2019
Hi, this is my first attempt at overclocking despite having my 7700k for a little over a year - Any advice would be appreciated.

As my first attempt to hit 5ghz I tried setting my vcore to 1.35V, but noticed very high temperatures when running Prime95 (version 26.6) and RealBench (version 2.43). Idle temps would sit at round 42-46 degrees celsius, running these stress tests would instantly bump the temp to the high 90's, with 2 cores peaking at 101 degrees towards the end of the tests.

I gradually decreased the vcore voltage by 0.005 until I hit 1.29V, which is where I'm currently sitting. With each change in voltage I ran 1 run of RealBench and 10 mintues of Prime95 (small FFTs). At 1.29V idle temps are between 38-41 degrees. While stress testing are still in the high 90's, but peak at 98 degrees. I haven't encountered any errors while running these tests, however I understand that these tests aren't being run for very long, but I'm hesitant to run them for longer with such high temps.

So my question is, are these temps expected with my setup? I'm not sure if I should continue to drop the vcore voltage (I already feel like I'm low compared to vcore voltages I see online) to try and achieve lower temps, or whether this is just a sign that I wont be able to hit 5ghz. I'm open to the option of delidding and/or upgrading to a AOI cooler.

System specs:
  • CPU: I7 7700K
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-HD3
  • PSU: Antec HCG-520M
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080
  • COOLING: Noctua NH-D14 (+4 case fans)

Delidding would certainly help. But keep in mind these are stress test numbers and not necessarily reflective of actual use. Have you tried doing normal activity or gaming? You may see temps stabilize and be acceptable when you're not pu ding your cpu.

An aio may or may not help you, as you already have one of the better air coolers available. The voltage seems good, so it definitely seems like your being temp limited. I would still try gaming and see what your temps are after a session and go from there.

If still high, I would delid and retest. Then think about a better cooler after that.

Mar 17, 2019
Delidding would certainly help. But keep in mind these are stress test numbers and not necessarily reflective of actual use. Have you tried doing normal activity or gaming? You may see temps stabilize and be acceptable when you're not pu ding your cpu.

An aio may or may not help you, as you already have one of the better air coolers available. The voltage seems good, so it definitely seems like your being temp limited. I would still try gaming and see what your temps are after a session and go from there.

If still high, I would delid and retest. Then think about a better cooler after that.

So temps outside of stress testing seem okay-ish. Between 40-45 degrees for general use (twitch, youtube, etc) and between 65-73 degrees while gaming. Peaking at 80. And this was over a 5 hour period playing a really cpu heavy game. I plan to pretty much do exactly what you said. Delid and reset, then maybe upgrade my cooler if needed. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.