Question High temps when rendering a video.

Sep 1, 2019
So, i have a ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler, i'm getting 76c temperature when rendering the video on sony vegas is that normal or? i'm planning on getting new cpu cooler soon, what's the safe temp for ryzen 5 3600? any information appreciated.

May 12, 2019
Your CPU should definitely do not reach those temps. Because if those are your temps while rendering, on a synthetic stress test like Aida64 or other, temps will be infernal. don´t know if the included cooler is OK but I recommend you to change your cooler. What is your actual voltage? Do you have the latest AMD bios and agesa version? What type of video is the one that you are rendering?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The new Ryzen CPUs do get extremely hot... My 3900X hit 95 degrees when rendering with the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler. I changed to the Corsair H115i RGB Platinum which dropped the temps to 85 degrees.

You could alter the power settings in the control panel and clamp the CPU to 99%. I also did that and the temps dropped even more, down to 70-75 degrees with no appreciable difference in rendering time...

BTW, if you do decide on a Corsair AIO, do NOT replace the thermal paste with an aftermarket one. I used Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut (which is supposed to be one of the best) and the CPU temps went up by a few degrees...

HI, you could the 99% CPU processor state, but keep in mind that from my experience, doing that will mean you're artificially disabling AMD PB function on Windows (which is AMD precision boost, like Intel's turbo boost) so you will be working at only 3600MHz (actually around 3563MHz if Im not mistaked, which is base frecuency * 0,99), losing some of your boosting speed.

Of course it will depend on your work load, the lenght of the video, settings, effects and etc, to see if theres any huge diference in performance and rendering times.

If you wana disable PB the right way you can do it in the BIOS.

As for temps, 76°C under heavy load, as CosmicDance wrote, is totally fine for stock cooler, is actually great for the crappy stock cooler Ryzen 5 3600 comes with (yes I can write this because I have one too!).
You could get a beefier air cooler, like Hyper 212 Black (which already includes the AM4 mounting kit), or Gammaxx 400 (mounting on AM4 using clips which kinda sucks for some users) or Gammaxx GTE (this last one come with screws for mounting), or bequiet Dark Rock Slim. If you want the ugliest and one of the best brands Noctua NH-U12A or NH-U12S or the premium NH-D15 SE-AM4 (which I think is overkill for a Ryzen 5 3600). (I think be quiet are also one of the best, and their coolers looks really good)

You basically have lots of options. Even watercooling if you like. (which I don't, cause I don't feel confortable putting liquids inside my PC)

Hope it helps!

Cheers

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Do you mean change maximum processor state from 100% to 99? also im not goign for corsair aio, i'm going for arctic freezer 34 esports duo

Yes... After lowering the CPU to 99%, you should test to see if your rendering time changes a lot. As mentioned by RodroX, it caps your CPU speed to 99% of its rated speed and prevents turbo mode. My 3900X gets throttled from 3.8GHz to 3.72 GHz max. When I render, it only made a minimal difference in rendering time.

I noticed that my 3900X never hits its rated speed of 4.6 GHz no matter what I did, it topped off at 4.4 GHz. Note that AMD specifies that the 3000 CPUs is rated to hit the maximum speed on one (or possibly more) core, not for all cores simultaneously. So the performance hit was even less for me. When throttled, I see all the cores are running at 3.72 GHz, when run at 100%, a couple of cores may hit 4.4 GHz but most average about 4.2 GHz. Pretty disappointing.

Reactions: RodroX
Yes... After lowering the CPU to 99%, you should test to see if your rendering time changes a lot. As mentioned by RodroX, it caps your CPU speed to 99% of its rated speed and prevents turbo mode. My 3900X gets throttled from 3.8GHz to 3.72 GHz max. When I render, it only made a minimal difference in rendering time.

I noticed that my 3900X never hits its rated speed of 4.6 GHz no matter what I did, it topped off at 4.4 GHz. Note that AMD specifies that the 3000 CPUs is rated to hit the maximum speed on one (or possibly more) core, not for all cores simultaneously. So the performance hit was even less for me. When throttled, I see all the cores are running at 3.72 GHz, when run at 100%, a couple of cores may hit 4.4 GHz but most average about 4.2 GHz. Pretty disappointing.

Maybe you see it already, maybe not, here you can find the results from Silicon Lottery: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-silicon-lottery-binning,40157.html, according to them, since most 3900X they tested can boost all cores to around 4000~4050MHz then its only a ~200MHz diference from base clock when doing task like rendering.

But, big but here, (of course you should test it) since most Ryzen 5 3600 I heard about can reach 3950~4000MHz while PB is enable, that will mean more than a 10% lost frecuency when capping at ~3600MHz, and with only 6 cores/12threads it could mean some more mins (not seconds) of rendering time.

So yeah, please try it out if you wana, and share your experience !!!!

Cheers