[SOLVED] High temps with gtx 1660

Jun 8, 2020
Hello, everyone

I got myself a new build about 5 months ago. It's got a I5 9400F + asus phoenix OC gtx1660 + 8gb ram.

The machine is performing greatly. 60fps+ on every game with high-ultra settings. The only issue being the GPU temps while under load.

The case has all of its 3 fans on the front panel. I have no fans on the top, neither on the back.

I had no idea the temps were this high with certain games.

Apparently Witcher 3 has been killing my card. Looking up Msi afterburner while playing, I've come to notice that for most games, the fan finds itself at 59%. Would turning it up or messing with the fan curve solve it? I'm a bit of a noob and have never done it before. Is it safe to mess with the fan speed slider on msi afterburner? I guess I could add an extra case cooler or get an aftermarket cooler for the card as well.

Below are some screenshots with my current temps:

View: https://imgur.com/a/NPJKl8S

I removed the case's side panel and the overall temps dropped about 10°. I went from an average of 78° on gta to 66-67°, for instance.

Solution
D
In a case like that I would invest in more exhaust fans than intakes... move one of the intakes to the back as an exhaust and see if that helps.

Lutfij

Titan
In order for us to get a better picture, you need to include your full system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the age of your PSU, the airflow in your case and the orientation of the fans. A picture of your system innards as well as the chassis will help us two fold.

Jun 8, 2020
In order for us to get a better picture, you need to include your full system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the age of your PSU, the airflow in your case and the orientation of the fans. A picture of your system innards as well as the chassis will help us two fold.

CPU: Intel Core I5-9400F Coffee Lake, Cache 9MB, 2.9GHz (4.1GHz Max Turbo)

Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M M.2 2.0

Ram: 1 x 8GB DDR4 -2400MHz

SSD/HDD: 1 x Kingston A400 SA400S37/480G SSD + 1 x SAMSUNG HDD 320 GB, SATA II, 3.0 GBPS, 16MB - 7200 RPM. - HD322HJ

GPU: ASUS PHOENIX OC EDITION GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5 192Bit

PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series 500W, 80 Plus White, PS-SPD-0500NPCWBZ-W

All of the parts are 5 months and 20 days old, with the exception of the HDD, which is 10 years old.

I have a total of 3 case fans, all located on the front panel, which I can't tell whether they are intake or exhaust, but I guess it would make more sense if they were intake.

Pictures below to help:
View: https://imgur.com/a/eFKTxiw

I just realized that the HDD seems to be blocking off the bottom fan. Which is exactly where the video card finds itself.

EDIT: Removed the HDD, but it only dropped 2°.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

In a case like that I would invest in more exhaust fans than intakes... move one of the intakes to the back as an exhaust and see if that helps.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Jun 8, 2020

Yeah, I think I'm gonna get another fan. I created a custom fan curve for the video card and the temps are more normal now. I'm ranging from upper 60's to lower 70's now on most games. Witcher 3 is still managing to push 80°at its most(even with the fan at 100%) ,somehow, but the extra fan could make that lower. At least now it stays mostly within the 70's range.