just_6

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017
I recently had to change my case and chose to go with a smaller one as the full tower i had was pretty big I now have a midi and i ran into a problem
my CPU AIO doesnt have space to mount on top so i had to mount it on the front, i have intake fans mounted in front of the AIO and the AIO blowing the air into my gpu basically,
My average on load gpu temperature is now 83, used to be max 70, Is this because of the cpu AIO blowing hot air into it? should i make it so it blows the air out instead? or is it just because of the case being smaller?
I know its not a big deal but i'd like to lower it a bit.

If i make the AIO blow the air out (into the intake fans i have installed in front of it) is that bad?

Image here: View: https://imgur.com/a/3eGZeJl

Parts: GPU 1070
Cooler, H115i PRO
Case td 500 mesh

Last edited:
Solution
That case is fine for a 280mm radiator IF the tubing is long enough to reach the bottom, which with that AIO isn't possible.

It's a design flaw, not being able to mount the 280mm higher, regardless of claims.

On top of that, you've got useless fans. The aio fans are blowing air towards the front, the case fans are blowing air towards the rear. - > || <- you create an air sandwich, air colliding in the middle and going nowhere. Either flip the aio fans around, or just get rid of them totally and let the case fans push air through the rad.

But that doesn't solve the air/pump issue, which is a huge problem. The only fix for that is change out the aio for a 360mm (3x 120mm, same as the front fan mounting) rad or use an aircooler of...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The way you have the hybrid cooler right now, is a huge NO-NO. You HAVE to raise that radiator. Get that top fan out of there, because I know it's in the way of you doing that.
Air makes its way to the highest point of the loop, and you do not want the pump block to trap air - as you currently have it.

2)The hybrid cooler's fans are facing the wrong direction. Right now, the chassis intake and radiator fans are blowing against each other.
OMG, I think I see how this even came to be...
Your front chassis fans have to go. The screw spaces you need to use to raise the radiator would be obstructed by the fans in the front.
The radiator fans are facing the wrong way, so fix that too.

just_6

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017
1)The way you have the hybrid cooler right now, is a huge NO-NO. You HAVE to raise that radiator. Get that top fan out of there, because I know it's in the way of you doing that.
Air makes its way to the highest point of the loop, and you do not want the pump block to trap air - as you currently have it.

2)The hybrid cooler's fans are facing the wrong direction. Right now, the chassis intake and radiator fans are blowing against each other.
OMG, I think I see how this even came to be...
Your front chassis fans have to go. The screw spaces you need to use to raise the radiator would be obstructed by the fans in the front.
The radiator fans are facing the wrong way, so fix that too.
I was hoping the air would make its way to the top where i have the top fan taking air out, is that wrong?
Theres 3 fans behind that radiator which is a pain to remove, wanted to avoid that.
Also is it bad having the radiator that low? Why so just curious

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was hoping the air would make its way to the top where i have the top fan taking air out, is that wrong?
THAT close from the front of the chassis? Yeah, it is wrong.

Also is it bad having the radiator that low? Why so just curious
Air rises to the highest point of the loop.
The pumps work best when they are kept wet. The fluid acts as oil for the motor; keeps it lubricated.
Air in there will create friction, leaves the pump dry, and ultimately reduces performance and longevity; it's a quick way to kill the pump.

just_6

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017
THAT close from the front of the chassis? Yeah, it is wrong.

Air rises to the highest point of the loop.
The pumps work best when they are kept wet. The fluid acts as oil for the motor; keeps it lubricated.
Air in there will create friction, leaves the pump dry, and ultimately reduces performance and longevity; it's a quick way to kill the pump.
I just checked and the radiator doesnt fit above, Its too wide, the only place i can screw it in is where i have it right now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That case is fine for a 280mm radiator IF the tubing is long enough to reach the bottom, which with that AIO isn't possible.

It's a design flaw, not being able to mount the 280mm higher, regardless of claims.

On top of that, you've got useless fans. The aio fans are blowing air towards the front, the case fans are blowing air towards the rear. - > || <- you create an air sandwich, air colliding in the middle and going nowhere. Either flip the aio fans around, or just get rid of them totally and let the case fans push air through the rad.

But that doesn't solve the air/pump issue, which is a huge problem. The only fix for that is change out the aio for a 360mm (3x 120mm, same as the front fan mounting) rad or use an aircooler of adequate size and ability.

Solution

just_6

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017

But that doesn't solve the air/pump issue, which is a huge problem. The only fix for that is change out the aio for a 360mm (3x 120mm, same as the front fan mounting) rad or use an aircooler of adequate size and ability.
The cooler is already pretty old, I'm thinking to just let it die and replace it when the time comes, would leaving it like this cause overheating or damage to any other pieces? I already flipped the AIO fans around.

TRENDING THREADS