[SOLVED] High uncorrectables on Arris SB6190

Feb 25, 2021
Our internet service has always been spotty. Speed Check via Google yields 100MBPS+ which is inline with our service tier from Xfiniity. However, we get.a ton of latency and sometimes it just drops.

I logged into our Arris SB6190 modem and noticed that uncorrectables are 10x correctables. See below. This is easily reproduceable. This is literally the only device connected to our main cable feed (no splitters) and I have done several resets. Plus, Comcast did one of those "Let me send some signals to your modem so I can get you off the phone as soon as possible" things. Didn't help.

All other values on modem appear to be OK.

Ditch our modem for another? Re-run coax from Comcast drop?

Screen-Shot-2021-02-25-at-8-03-18-PM.png

Solution
I would not touch the cable that runs outside your house. If it does not fix the problem the ISP will come and see it and blame the problem on your replacement cable. They will replace it again and charge you for it even if they fix something else at the same time.

It can be any place in the path between you and the large cable cabinet that converts to fiber. It could be a connection to a neighbors house causing the issue. Only the ISP can find these.

Normally you will see very high uplink values if there is a cable problem. Loss like this when the signal level number are good tends to be something else.

Most ISP are pretty good about fixing packet loss problems.
Our internet service has always been spotty. Speed Check via Google yields 100MBPS+ which is inline with our service tier from Xfiniity. However, we get.a ton of latency and sometimes it just drops.

I logged into our Arris SB6190 modem and noticed that uncorrectables are 10x correctables. See below. This is easily reproduceable. This is literally the only device connected to our main cable feed (no splitters) and I have done several resets. Plus, Comcast did one of those "Let me send some signals to your modem so I can get you off the phone as soon as possible" things. Didn't help.

I would do a full rerun o the cable from drop to the modem. Do a fresh start on the modem. Reinstall latest update file and set up the modem.

It's not the modem as I've got 2x of these at two different sites with two different isps and they work fine when there aren't signal issues at the isp. Check your event log too for any type of 'timeout' messages--this also means there's some signal issues.

One of mine is with xfinity. What I would do is call them and ask them to run a ping to your modem and see if they see any signal issues. Call back a few times if you have to in order to get someone to note a problem. Once they find this, they're usually pretty good at getting it fixed.

That cable is the responsibility of the isp. If the customer does everything on their side and there is no problem, the isp has to work on it, cabling, network routing, line issues, whatever.
Well mean yes and no they will do it for a fee. Or you can do it for the price of the cable. If he thinks it maybe be the line then i would deffenetly take my time to do a rerun of my lines without a fee if i can do it. I never thought it maybe the modem either their pretty durable i used one for about three months before getting one with wider range.

Oh oh oh.... I see tye issue look at your channels you have it auto set no no. Bug big no it's channle surfing lol set a specific channle

Feb 25, 2021
Oh oh oh.... I see tye issue look at your channels you have it auto set no no. Bug big no it's channle surfing lol set a specific channle

@white.a.drew Can you elaborate on what I need to do to correct this? I don't see a non-auto setting.

Everyone else, thanks for the tips. Cable looks fine from the outside but I'll likely re-run it from the drop. I know I could probably get Comcast to do it but it's so painful to deal with their customer service.

I would not touch the cable that runs outside your house. If it does not fix the problem the ISP will come and see it and blame the problem on your replacement cable. They will replace it again and charge you for it even if they fix something else at the same time.

It can be any place in the path between you and the large cable cabinet that converts to fiber. It could be a connection to a neighbors house causing the issue. Only the ISP can find these.

Normally you will see very high uplink values if there is a cable problem. Loss like this when the signal level number are good tends to be something else.

Most ISP are pretty good about fixing packet loss problems.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Feb 25, 2021
@bill001g Interesting. Thanks for the input. i'll get the ISP to further diagnose and leave the cable alone. Is 'uncorrectables' the same as packet loss? I grok packet loss but uncorrectables is a new term for me.

By "very high uplink values", it looks like my power values are within spec. See values below. Sorry, can't upload another image apparently

Upstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusUS Channel TypeChannel IDSymbol RateFrequencyPower
1LockedATDMA65120 kSym/s17.30 MHz43.50 dBmV
2LockedATDMA101280 kSym/s41.20 MHz37.50 dBmV
3LockedATDMA95120 kSym/s36.70 MHz42.50 dBmV
4LockedATDMA85120 kSym/s30.30 MHz42.00 dBmV
5LockedATDMA75120 kSym/s23.70 MHz42.25 dBmV

Well mean yes and no they will do it for a fee. Or you can do it for the price of the cable. If he thinks it maybe be the line then i would deffenetly take my time to do a rerun of my lines without a fee if i can do it. I never thought it maybe the modem either their pretty durable i used one for about three months before getting one with wider range.
Generally I've never seen an isp charge for damage to outside wiring unless it was determined that the customer did it. And this is dealing with multiple ISPs for over 20 years. Once they install it, they'll maintain it.

I would use packetlosstest.com to see if you have packet loss, and if you do, I would check if you get packet loss to the first isp hop. If so, the comcast support agents will be able to replicate this in their cable modem ping test tool and that will get you on the road to a resolution since they'll send a technician.