Question High/Very High graphics in Destiny 2 looks like low graphics ?

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
So I've seen this question asked a few times before, but never answered. I'm using Very High with DOF off and 120% res scale at 1080p. This looks absolutely terrible. Any fixes for it?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Rtx 2060 super
16gb ddr4 @3000MHz OC'd
the rest isnt really important

Hard to know since we don't know that this terrible looking game actually looks like. Could be the monitor you are using. Could be something else. Did you try it without the resolution scaling? Upload a few screenshots to imgr and link them here so people can see.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Hard to know since we don't know that this terrible looking game actually looks like. Could be the monitor you are using. Could be something else. Did you try it without the resolution scaling? Upload a few screenshots to imgr and link them here so people can see.
Right, sorry. I haven't had problems like this so idk how to approach it.

My exact problem is that some textures have white outlines that move with every frame that passes in-game.
Here are some pics:
View: https://imgur.com/JNJBTlW

View: https://imgur.com/6B4VfT6

View: https://imgur.com/KUHzq7K

View: https://imgur.com/uOaNxvP

I'm not sure if the pictures show how jagged the graphics are and how much of an eye sore they can be.
Maybe the last one shows how bad it is with the textures on the ship: View: https://imgur.com/aZKBwRU

I'm thinking it has to do with anti-aliasing, but I tried adjusting it withing the Nvidia control panel as well but nothing.
I reinstalled the game, Windows, GPU drivers.
Maybe it has to do with the in-monitor sharpening, but when I change it to extremely blurry it blurs the screen so much that I could still notice the problem anymore and it looked as if the game was running at 360p.

This problem is not so noticeable while stationary but it gets so much worse with motion.

ALTHOUGH changing the resolution scale to 200% sort of solves the problem, it's extremely less noticeable with motion, but the game becomes unplayable because of low framerate.

What monitor are you using and what connection type is is on? Have you tried another connection type, DP vs HDMI or vice versa? You set the resolution to default for the monitor resolution?

I installed the game to see how it looked, in the options screen when I look at the ships they look the exact same way on my system at default settings the white lines in some areas.

Last edited:

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
What monitor are you using and what connection type is is on? Have you tried another connection type, DP vs HDMI or vice versa? You set the resolution to default for the monitor resolution?

I installed the game to see how it looked, in the options screen when I look at the ships they look the exact same way on my system at default settings the white lines in some areas.
I use an HP 24X (1080p @144hz) with DP. No I have not tried HDMI because that would limit me to 120Hz and my second monitor is using my only HDMI port on my GPU.
The highest res on my NVIDIA control panel is 1080p, and that's what all games default to so i'm guessing that's the default res on my monitor.
Since you also installed the game and you had the exact same problem, i'm starting to think this is bungie's fault. The only thing is is that all of my friends have the game at the same exact resolution with the same exact graphical settings and resolution scale and they don't have this problem. Maybe it really is bad anti-aliasing?

I use an HP 24X (1080p @144hz) with DP. No I have not tried HDMI because that would limit me to 120Hz and my second monitor is using my only HDMI port on my GPU.
The highest res on my NVIDIA control panel is 1080p, and that's what all games default to so i'm guessing that's the default res on my monitor.
Since you also installed the game and you had the exact same problem, i'm starting to think this is bungie's fault. The only thing is is that all of my friends have the game at the same exact resolution with the same exact graphical settings and resolution scale and they don't have this problem. Maybe it really is bad anti-aliasing?

Disconnect the second monitor and check it. Also try different refresh rates.

Right, sorry. I haven't had problems like this so idk how to approach it.

My exact problem is that some textures have white outlines that move with every frame that passes in-game.

I'm thinking it has to do with anti-aliasing, but I tried adjusting it withing the Nvidia control panel as well but nothing.
I reinstalled the game, Windows, GPU drivers.
Maybe it has to do with the in-monitor sharpening, but when I change it to extremely blurry it blurs the screen so much that I could still notice the problem anymore and it looked as if the game was running at 360p.

This problem is not so noticeable while stationary but it gets so much worse with motion.

ALTHOUGH changing the resolution scale to 200% sort of solves the problem, it's extremely less noticeable with motion, but the game becomes unplayable because of low framerate.
You are seeing aliased lines that will go away or be mitigated with a higher resolution monitor with a native resolution higher than 1080p. The free solution is to use anti-aliasing or increase the resolution scale which increases the actual rendered resolution from 1080p to 2160p(4k resolution) when you use 200%. However, increasing the resolution scale also requires more GPU processing performance, so you will likely need to also upgrade your GPU if you are not satisfied with your fps at higher settings.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
You are seeing aliased lines that will go away or be mitigated with a higher resolution monitor with a native resolution higher than 1080p. The free solution is to use anti-aliasing or increase the resolution scale which increases the actual rendered resolution from 1080p to 2160p(4k resolution) when you use 200%. However, increasing the resolution scale also requires more GPU processing performance, so you will likely need to also upgrade your GPU if you are not satisfied with your fps at higher settings.
So the problem here is anti-aliasing not working? Because that seems to be the case, since the difference between SMAA and TXAA is that TXAA is blurrier, and doesn't actually change anything.