[SOLVED] High Voltage on 3700x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratis123

Honorable
Mar 21, 2015
Hello everyone. I just got my new 3700x. I installed it on a crosshair vii hero and i immediately saw that the vcore was hitting almost 1.5 volts and idle temps about 40C. Previously i had a 2600 at 4.2@1.365 volts. Is it normal for the voltage to sit that high ??? Is there anything i can do??
The bios is updated (Ver. 2901)
Im on a custom loop with a 360 rad
and i have clean installed windows.
Thanks.

Solution
This is normal, the Ryzen 3000 series operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens.

To help ease your mind further, here is an extract from Robert Hallock's post who is an AMD Technical Engineer who works with the community a lot:
It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is normal, the Ryzen 3000 series operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens.

To help ease your mind further, here is an extract from Robert Hallock's post who is an AMD Technical Engineer who works with the community a lot:
It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system, with up to 1000 voltage and clockspeed changes every second. You will see a lot of bouncing around as you work with your system.

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ryzen-5-3600-up-to-1-488-vcore.3517037/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-3600x-temperatures-and-loud-cooler.3512705/

If you use something like HWInfo and monitored closely under different loads, you will see this behaviour and the subtle fluctuations. The Ryzen 3000 series are made to run up to that voltage and constantly fluctuate.

He also stated: "I'm specifically looking for reports where the voltage is stuck at a particular value, or a small range of values, around 1.4V--no matter how long you sit there and watch it." however I believe what he is getting at, is if you do monitor the voltages closely (such as with HWInfo) you will see this rapid fluctuation, not it just sitting at a very high voltage constantly.

Reactions: Stratis123
Solution
Hello everyone. I just got my new 3700x. I installed it on a crosshair vii hero and i immediately saw that the vcore was hitting almost 1.5 volts and idle temps about 40C. Previously i had a 2600 at 4.2@1.365 volts. Is it normal for the voltage to sit that high ??? Is there anything i can do??
The bios is updated (Ver. 2901)
Im on a custom loop with a 360 rad
and i have clean installed windows.
Thanks.
No place for panic, 3rd gen tends to set idle voltage a bit higher than usual, should drop to about 1.35 or less at load. You could try with negative voltage offset 0.1 or less.

Reactions: Stratis123
Status
Not open for further replies.