[SOLVED] high voltage on an R7 1700.

CrownedClownBG

Reputable
Mar 5, 2019
Hello,

So today I built a system with an R7 1700 and x370 Killer SLI. Got them 2nd hand. Also using 2x4GB 2800 RAM(got that lying around).

I just finished installing windows and I installed hwmonitor straight away and I noticed that the CPU is reaching really high voltages - 1.45 volts...
View: https://imgur.com/jcRhXGt

Edit: Added the wrong picture above, but will leave it anyway.
Here's the real vcore:
View: https://imgur.com/owws3HX

I tried just going and putting 1.875 volts and 3.2GHz just to see if it will fix it, but this continues to happen. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Also there is 1 more issue. When I turn on the PC the GPU and PC Fan start to work for like 1 second then stop then start again(they do it 2-3 times) and then it starts. After that if I restart the PC this doesn't happen. Only when I turn it off completely and then on and also when I exit from the bios(which I assume turns off the PC completely).

Could it be a PSU issue. I'm using my old Fortron Raider 550 Bronze while waiting for the new PSU? Wanted to make sure everything works properly since it's second hand an all.

Last edited:
Solution
Oh meant to say 1.175. That got default suggested and I left it since it felt a lot better than the 1.44 that's reaching at the moment, but it continues to do it even with 1.175 set.

If I reset bios settings it won't affect the bios version right? I've never done a bios update and I don't wanna risk screwing something up.

Edit: Small update. I did a bios reset(not reflash, just default settings reset) and that seems to have fixed the issue when starting the PC. Now it starts without turning off and on 2 -3 times in a roll.

The high voltage kept persisting even after the default settings bios reset, but just now I went and put 3.4GHz at 1.1875 volts and so far it hasn't gone above 1.184 volts, so hoping that somehow this fixed it...

CrownedClownBG

Reputable
Mar 5, 2019
Oh meant to say 1.175. That got default suggested and I left it since it felt a lot better than the 1.44 that's reaching at the moment, but it continues to do it even with 1.175 set.

If I reset bios settings it won't affect the bios version right? I've never done a bios update and I don't wanna risk screwing something up.

Edit: Small update. I did a bios reset(not reflash, just default settings reset) and that seems to have fixed the issue when starting the PC. Now it starts without turning off and on 2 -3 times in a roll.

The high voltage kept persisting even after the default settings bios reset, but just now I went and put 3.4GHz at 1.1875 volts and so far it hasn't gone above 1.184 volts, so hoping that somehow this fixed it.

That said if anyone have any ideas I'm still interested in them, since I'll only know if this has been "fixed" after at least a day of work.

A side question. Now after I've put 3.4GHz it seems that it's always running at that speed even at idle. Is that how it's supposed to be or I have to turn on something in the settings?
Temps seem to be fine (35 degrees according to hwmonitor and hwinfo).
Also curious is the watts(power) usage accurate in hwmonitor? If it is 21-25w and 35 degrees seem fine for idle right?

Edit: Just got BSOD, so definitely looking for any ideas.

Edit: Updating this in case someone in the future have similar problems. So I fixed all the issues and now it's working without any problems whatsoever. Sadly no one really helped from the forum, but then again it's not the first time.

Anyway the high voltage issue was solved with bios default setting reset and putting an exact number in the voltage(in my case 1.1875) @ 3.4GHz. I can go higher with both the volts and GHz, but for the moment I don't need it, so I'm leaving it like that. I assume a bios update(downgrade) will also fix this type of issues aswell.
After that I got BSOD, however my windows install wasn't proper(there were errors). Re-installed windows and the BSOD disappeared to be replaced with freezing and snowy screen. At that time I remembered that after I fixed the volts issue I used XMP profile on my RAM. Turned it off and put it to auto(which means it's running at 2666 atm) and that fixed all other issues. The RAM isn't in the supported list for the motherboard, so I won't bother even trying to OC it, but I'll just get a good 16GB kit at 3200CL16(was going to do it anyway).

Last edited:
Solution