[SOLVED] High VRAM Temps

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I have an ASUS 3080 TUF OC. Before I start I want to be clear on something, I did not buy this card to mine. I bought this card a few months ago to only game on, and only recently started mining to make a few extra bucks on the side with my idle computer. I’m using NiceHash to mine, and when I started the VRAM temps rose to 110°C and I got some warnings. I then optimized it to the lite setting and it went to 100°C. I had to manually change (ASUS’ GPU Tweak III) the power target to 40% to get it at a stable 90°C, because I heard that was the best temp to not damage/degrade the card too much, but that makes it fairly slow for mining. I thought the TUF card had the best VRAM temps out of all the 3080’s? How do I keep it from being so high? I like the idea of crypto mining, but I don’t want to degrade my card since the primary focus is still gaming.

idle temps are 66°C, gaming temp is 80°C.

Solution
Idle temp is high, do you have fans in your pc case? How many? What case? Full system specs?

GDDR6X runs very hot, those temps look inline with mine.

I went on a similar journey with Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and gave up on the idea of mining Ethereum. The only way to keep vram temp to 90c included running the fan at 80% or more and I don’t like that idea. I tried pointing a 120mm fan at the back of the gpu and also tried across the gpu but it made no useful difference. From what I read the only option was to replace the thermal pads on the VRAM and/or add additional heat sinks to the back of the card, neither of which I wanted to do.

In the end I decided if I was willing to risk my gpu at a time when prices are so high and...

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Idle temp is high, do you have fans in your pc case? How many? What case? Full system specs?
Here’s my full system spec list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ThatSourMelon/saved/#view=2mWQ6h I have 4 case fans (2 120mm and 2 140mm) always running at 50% or higher speed with a good airflow case. I have the gpu fans set to auto.

if the idle is that high could I expect some degrading from using it for the past few months? I have an extended warranty from MC but it’s a state over so I don’t want to use it if I have to.

btw I have it mining rn at 90°C while I’m at work, that’s not bad right?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Here’s my full system spec list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ThatSourMelon/saved/#view=2mWQ6h I have 4 case fans (2 120mm and 2 140mm) always running at 50% or higher speed with a good airflow case. I have the gpu fans set to auto.

if the idle is that high could I expect some degrading from using it for the past few months? I have an extended warranty from MC but it’s a state over so I don’t want to use it if I have to.

btw I have it mining rn at 90°C while I’m at work, that’s not bad right?
Set a custom fan curve for your GPU fan so it speeds up at a lower temperature.

I went on a similar journey with Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and gave up on the idea of mining Ethereum. The only way to keep vram temp to 90c included running the fan at 80% or more and I don’t like that idea. I tried pointing a 120mm fan at the back of the gpu and also tried across the gpu but it made no useful difference. From what I read the only option was to replace the thermal pads on the VRAM and/or add additional heat sinks to the back of the card, neither of which I wanted to do.

In the end I decided if I was willing to risk my gpu at a time when prices are so high and getting a replacement could take 6 months or more I might as well put money into buying Bitcoin and Ethereum and not risk killing my gpu and being without one. As it would have taken 6 months or more to build up even a small amount of Ethereum mining part time I am hoping that just getting in earlier with a larger value of Bitcoin/Ethereum may even work out better.

Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

In the end I decided if I was willing to risk my gpu at a time when prices are so high and getting a replacement could take 6 months or more I might as well put money into buying Bitcoin and Ethereum and not risk killing my gpu and being without one. As it would have taken 6 months or more to build up even a small amount of Ethereum mining part time I am hoping that just getting in earlier with a larger value of Bitcoin/Ethereum may even work out better.
Oh so these temps are normal. I ageee with your assessment, but I have an extended warranty. If GDDR6X is supposed to run hotter wouldn’t it be more resilient to thermal degrading?

Oh so these temps are normal. I ageee with your assessment, but I have an extended warranty. If GDDR6X is supposed to run hotter wouldn’t it be more resilient to thermal degrading?

Even though it runs hotter Micron give GDRR6X the same operating temperature range as GDRR6. Max of 95c https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6x

GDDR6X is still so new we don’t know how running 85, 90, 95c for prolonged periods will actually impact it.

As for warranty would it still be valid if the card was used for mining? Even if it is how long for a replacement?

At the end of the day it’s about your appetite for risk. Personally I know I would be really annoyed at myself if I damaged my 3080 and had to wait months for a replacement and maybe a huge bill for mining a relatively small amount of Ethereum less cost. For me I decided to manage my risk appetite by just buying Bitcoin and Ethereum.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Even though it runs hotter Micron give GDRR6X the same operating temperature range as GDRR6. Max of 95c https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6x

GDDR6X is still so new we don’t know how running 85, 90, 95c for prolonged periods will actually impact it.

As for warranty would it still be valid if the card was used for mining? Even if it is how long for a replacement?

At the end of the day it’s about your appetite for risk. Personally I know I would be really annoyed at myself if I damaged my 3080 and had to wait months for a replacement and maybe a huge bill for mining a relatively small amount of Ethereum less cost. For me I decided to manage my risk appetite by just buying Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Thanks for the reply. From what I’ve heard MC warranty’s covert basically everything unless you purposely just like smash it with a hammer or something. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing rn now that I know it’s not doing anything it’s not supposed to do, and I’ll keep the vram temperatures between 85 and 90°C.

Reactions: sizzling