[SOLVED] Higher Contrast VA or higher Brightness IPS?

Aug 16, 2020
Hello everyone,

I can't decide which monitor to buy because I don't know what will look better (especially for dark games like Cyberpunk, and I also mostly use pc\play at night):

-IPS 350cd\m² with 1000:1 contrast or
-VA 250cd\m² with 3000:1 contrast

since 350cd\m² is almost HDR 400 should't it actually look more contrasty ? Or do VA panels inherently have more contrast than IPS?

Also a second question:
the VA is capable of 144hz 1ms but has a B energy efficiency (38W)
the IPS is only 75Hz and 6ms but has an A energy efficiency (25W)
Since I will only be gaming BUT at very high resolution so I won't really exceed 60fps\Hz, even the 75Hz IPS would be good but I would really enjoy the 1ms pixel response time of the VA (but the energy inneficiency is a turn off).
The question is: if I set the 144hz VA panel to 75hz or 60hz does is consume less energy (does it become ''A'') and does is still keep the 1ms pixel reponse time?

I would be grateful for any tips\advice regarding one question or the other..

Last edited:
Solution
You need to state model numbers to look up actual monitor performance. These specs are off the data sheet which is almost useless in figuring out what will look better because the specs are often fake. Response time is fastest with inverse ghosting which you won't be using. Contrast is often "industry standards" for the panel type and not the actual monitor's capability. It also says nothing of actual color gamut or accuracy. Energy efficiency should not be a factor at all. You could leave that on 24/7 and it would hardly be $1 more per month in most countries. Actual power consumption would be less than $1 so would not be noticeable on the power bill.

A higher brightness with worse contrast means black would look grey. This will be...
You need to state model numbers to look up actual monitor performance. These specs are off the data sheet which is almost useless in figuring out what will look better because the specs are often fake. Response time is fastest with inverse ghosting which you won't be using. Contrast is often "industry standards" for the panel type and not the actual monitor's capability. It also says nothing of actual color gamut or accuracy. Energy efficiency should not be a factor at all. You could leave that on 24/7 and it would hardly be $1 more per month in most countries. Actual power consumption would be less than $1 so would not be noticeable on the power bill.

A higher brightness with worse contrast means black would look grey. This will be immensely uglier. Also I don't know a single person who uses max brightness with a monitor inside especially at night. Assuming it's a decent va monitor with decent color and minimal ghosting, contrast is the most important factor in what makes a monitor look better. If you are really only going to play at 60hz then either will not have ghosting issues and 1ms would be irrelevant. If you do ever want higher hz, you'd be glad you already have a 144hz monitor although I don't know any va 1ms that actually can do 1ms without inverse ghosting.

Solution
Aug 16, 2020
Thank you for your reply!

The two displays in question are:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/c9a19bf

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/02e01ca0

Would reducing the IPS's (350cd\m) brightness to lets say..75% make the ''blacks'' better\deeper?
(my current monitor is a VA 250cd\m and using it at 90% brightness it is more than enough so a 350cdm at 75-80% should be bright enough.)

A higher brightness with worse contrast means black would look grey. This will be immensely uglier. Also I don't know a single person who uses max brightness with a monitor inside especially at night. Assuming it's a decent va monitor with decent color and minimal ghosting, contrast is the most important factor in what makes a monitor look better. If you are really only going to play at 60hz then either will not have ghosting issues and 1ms would be irrelevant. If you do ever want higher hz, you'd be glad you already have a 144hz monitor although I don't know any va 1ms that actually can do 1ms without inverse ghosting.

Lowering brightness means your whites become grey. I think you may be taking these statements worse than they actually are. Most people have seen/owned a normal tn monitor so you should be familiar with a typical contrast ratio compared to the va you have now. Is there something wrong with your current monitor?

Reactions: CoronaPCBuild
Aug 16, 2020
thanks for your help! I decided to go IPS since the viewing angles are better.

Lowering brightness means your whites become grey. I think you may be taking these statements worse than they actually are. Most people have seen/owned a normal tn monitor so you should be familiar with a typical contrast ratio compared to the va you have now. Is there something wrong with your current monitor?