[SOLVED] Higher GPU temps after repaste

mirzahan340

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Hello,

I have an acer nitro 5, with a RTX 2060 and an i7-9750h. I repasted the laptop because of high temps. Normally, my GPU would reach max 70 degrees under heavy gaming, and cpu would go to 95 degrees, but after the repaste my GPU rockets up to 85 degrees and cpu seems to stay around 85 while heavily gaming. I expected to see thermal pads on my GPU's VRAMs, but there was this pink putty like substance. Most of it was stuck to the heatsink so i didnt touch it and gently lowered the heatsink back on to the board after applying paste to the GPU and CPU. Is it possible that the high GPU temps are caused because of me not properly reapplying the pink putty? If so, what can i use to repaste the VRAMs? Thermal pads wont work because i read online that not all of the VRAMs are the same height and if i use the same pads on all of them, the ones with bigger gaps will overheat.

I also noticed that in stress tests, my cpu will stay at around 60 degrees celcius, but in games it goes all the way up to 90 sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
my g7 7700 does the same thing, i repasted it and im getting the same gpu temps as well. i think that because the heat pipes are shared, and the cpu is running cooler. so the heat that there is is shifted to the gpu. i think its normal.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
my g7 7700 does the same thing, i repasted it and im getting the same gpu temps as well. i think that because the heat pipes are shared, and the cpu is running cooler. so the heat that there is is shifted to the gpu. i think its normal.

Solution