Higher Graphics = Less Cpu Stress? (Game)

rodrigo.barbacovi

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
My setup:
CPU - 4460 (3.2ghz)
Ram - 16gb
HD - 1tb + ssd 240gb
gpu - evga nvidia 1070

First of all, sorry about my english

Well, here is the thing, i play rainbow six siege and when i run it on ultra graphics, cpu and gpu runs on ~ 75% and game gets 60 fps. That is nice.

But, weirdly, when i try to get more fps lowering the ingame graphics config is goes terribly worst, it actually gets 80~90 fps, but the game gets frozen every 5s, totally shit, unplayable. Cpu runs on 97+% and gpu stays on 50%. Fps never drops below 70, but it gets frozen all the time, very clunky.

1) So... With my setup (knowing that this gpu is way better compared to my cpu) is it correct to say that if i run on higher configs it will be better to my cpu to "build" those frames? It seens to me that with lower config, my gpu can perform more fps but cpu faills to handle this. Am I correct to generalize this or its just a 'bug' involving this game and my setup?

2) I am asking this because i want to play bf 5, in which cpu recommendation is a better one that mine, but, as my gpu is good enough, it could be playable if i run on high configs in order to get less fps so my cpu can run with less stress? I know that is stupidity, but... knowing that it works in rainbow six... idk..

Solution
1. In a simplistic sense, yes. The higher the graphics settings, the less frame being rendered & communicated with the CPU.
Same as moving up the resolution scale. The CPU matters less at 4K than it does at 1080p or 720p.

2. It depends on the title. For example, open-world multi-player titles can be quite demanding on the CPU. Yes, higher graphic settings will lessen the demand some, but it's not always that simple.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1. In a simplistic sense, yes. The higher the graphics settings, the less frame being rendered & communicated with the CPU.
Same as moving up the resolution scale. The CPU matters less at 4K than it does at 1080p or 720p.

2. It depends on the title. For example, open-world multi-player titles can be quite demanding on the CPU. Yes, higher graphic settings will lessen the demand some, but it's not always that simple.

Solution