[SOLVED] Higher mid ranged GPU best at cooling

Darren_L

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
I have a Ryzen 3600 paired with a Asus tuf GTX 1660 powered by a Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W.
I live in a tropical region and the summers get hot here, my GPU temps are rising upto 86° under load I'm considering upgrading to a GPU with a better cooling solution.
Initially I was looking at the Asus models, but the inno3d 2060 super ichill x3 caught my attention for it's price and offerings yet I'm not quite confident about it.
I found a website that compares the ichill with it's competitors, but again I don't have any idea about this website - https://ru.gecid.com/video/inno3d_g...4&c3=1974&c4=1984&act=Refresh+Charts#graphics

The e-store where I found the deal - https://computerspace.in/products/i...tra-graphics-card?_pos=1&_sid=df49e592c&_ss=r

The price of this GPU is same as Asus Dual RTX 2060 super listed on the same website.
Also will my PSU be able to handle the power draw?
I'm planning to get a UPS as well - https://computerspace.in/products/apc-1100va-230v-bx1100c-in-back-ups?variant=29341751541824

Will this do fine?

PS I haven't tried to undervolt my current GPU.

Solution
So then:
-gpu gets to 86C max: pretty much thermal throttle territory
-you did the case airflow test, it dropped like 5C... still pretty bad for just a 1660, but you only have 2 fans in your case.

Ok, one more test. Your case is quite similar to NZXT's H500...
Take that front intake fan and mount it as top exhaust. Leave the front and side panels on. Check load temps again.
If you are still getting 80C+, then the problem is the gpu's cooler design.

Darren_L

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
What is your case?

What happens to temps under load when you remove the front and side panels?
I have a Gigabyte C200 case....and yes taking off the side panel actually brought down the GPU temperature by a good 4-5°

I have just one fan for intake and one as exhaust, I'll try bumping up the speed on the intake fan for any improvements.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So then:
-you did the case airflow test, it dropped like 5C... still pretty bad for just a 1660, but you only have 2 fans in your case.

Take that front intake fan and mount it as top exhaust. Leave the front and side panels on. Check load temps again.

Solution

Darren_L

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
So then:

Yes.
Did as you said, still getting ~82°C on load.
Dusted off some components while shifting the fan as well.