[SOLVED] [Higher Ping Issue] Old work PC gets better ping than my new PC

Apr 11, 2021
Problem: I got a gaming pc during Christmas, I got a prebuilt called "HP Pvallion gaming desktop". Ever since I got it I noticed it gets higher ping than my old computer. I have them both on the same internet and both are using ethernet, the problem is that on games there is a ping difference which doesn't really make sense to me, since they are both conntected to the same router and both are using ethernet. I tested my ping in Minecraft, I joined the same server on both computers on the same server (same server ip) and my old pc would get 20-30 ping while my new gaming pc would get 70-100. This also happens on Valorant I would average 20-30 on old and 70-100 on new. I just want to know what is causing this, I've tried changing the ethernet cable, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried disabling apps in the background that might cause higher ping, basically the only thing running is the game and it doesn't make a difference. I did an internet speed test and they both have the same amount of download/upload speed. I'm pretty much stumped, looking to get some more help thanks!

New PC Specs:
HP Pvallion Gaming Desktop
CPU: i5-10400F
Graphics Card: GTX 1650 Super
Ram: 12 Gb Ram
Edition: Windows 10 Home

Solution
If a actual ping command is not being affected it generally means the network itself is fine. This means the drivers/cables etc good.

It has to be some issue with the game itself. Hard to say what since it can really be anything. Although it is not a network setting people claimed to have fixed network ping time by adjusting video settings. What appears to be happening is the game sends out a ping and then goes to do something else like process video. During this time the response comes back and is put in a buffer. When it finally finishes what it was doing it looks in the buffer and takes the time it looked at the buffer rather than when the data was placed in the buffer as the response time. It actually can be...
Where are you seeing the ping numbers. Are you actually using a ping commad or are you looking at some number in the game.

What happens if you leave a ping command run to some common ip like 8.8.8.8 in the background. Does this number change and is it different between the 2 pc.

Numbers inside a game can be affected by many things. Video driver/setting tend to the be most common. The game will get busy processing some video and then blame the network for the delay even though the problem was the game didn't bother looking for the respond that was sitting there waiting to be read.

Apr 11, 2021
Where are you seeing the ping numbers. Are you actually using a ping commad or are you looking at some number in the game.

What happens if you leave a ping command run to some common ip like 8.8.8.8 in the background. Does this number change and is it different between the 2 pc.

Numbers inside a game can be affected by many things. Video driver/setting tend to the be most common. The game will get busy processing some video and then blame the network for the delay even though the problem was the game didn't bother looking for the respond that was sitting there waiting to be read.
In Valorant if you press the scoreboard you can see your ping and in Minecraft they usually have the ping on the tab (list of peoples usernames). For pinning the cmd they are around the same around 15-30 ping no packet loss. It just happens in game which makes no sense to me. My gaming pc is fine when pinging like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 the problem is just in game my ping is just higher than what it was on my old pc, which is really annoying. I've been trying to disable background apps, but it seems not to make any difference.
Thanks for the response!

If a actual ping command is not being affected it generally means the network itself is fine. This means the drivers/cables etc good.

It has to be some issue with the game itself. Hard to say what since it can really be anything. Although it is not a network setting people claimed to have fixed network ping time by adjusting video settings. What appears to be happening is the game sends out a ping and then goes to do something else like process video. During this time the response comes back and is put in a buffer. When it finally finishes what it was doing it looks in the buffer and takes the time it looked at the buffer rather than when the data was placed in the buffer as the response time. It actually can be anything but it tends to be video setting that people say changing will fix this.

Since a different pc works it also eliminates the modem/router/internet and anything else outside the machine that has issues.

Solution
Even though you are using ethernet , type wi fi into your search box and see if the wi fi tab is turned on.
I had problems with a new pc because i did not realise the mobo was wi fi enabled so it was connecting to internet on its own plus i was also using ethernet , when i turned the wi fi tab off my problems stopped.