Higher PSU wattage and Certification = Less heat?

Harish798

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Hi Tom's Hardware, I'm currently running a nice build with a Corsair TX750 PSU (non-modular) (Bronze Certified). And I have a Corsair H100i cooler. It's pretty good - normal use temps are 27-30 degrees. And gradually increases as load increases, but not by that much. I was wondering a few things...:

1. So anyways, I was wondering if I should upgrade to a Corsair AX760i PSU, because not only is it Platinum Certified and Fully-Modular, but also since it's an AXi series it'll work great with my H100i.

2. I was also wondering if upgrading will result in less heat produced because of the better PSU?

3. Also, since it's fully-modular there'll be less wiring which results in less cramped space and more free air to pass.

So do any of you have suggestions??? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :D

Solution
It would produce slightly less heat, but not enough to warrant an upgrade, in my opinion. The power supply should be almost completely removed from the equation anyway; air should just enter the bottom and exit the back without interfacing with the rest of the case.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
It would produce slightly less heat, but not enough to warrant an upgrade, in my opinion. The power supply should be almost completely removed from the equation anyway; air should just enter the bottom and exit the back without interfacing with the rest of the case.

Solution

Harish798

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Oh I see what you're saying, but won't having a fully modular PSU make a big difference in air flow though?

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Higher wattage won't make much difference, a higher efficiency rating will. The high end Seasonic PSUs can produce almost no heat unless really pushed, but PSU heat is usually exhausted directly and doesn't affect the case much. 27c-30c at idle is fine.