Higher RAM speeds vs lower latency timings

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I've been spending a lot of time searching for the answer and even benchmarks to determine if it's better to get a 1333 RAM with lower latency timings or 1600 RAM with higher latency timings. I'll be using the rig for gaming and I'm not so sure if I'll do any overclocking because that consumes too much electricity.

If it's not too much to ask, please tell me which RAM would be better (platform will be AMD and Intel since I'll start with an AMD rig and finally use it for Intel when I've saved enough money). If you don't want to explain things again, helpful links would be great. I hope you can give me links to updated threads because all that I have found are threads dating back to the time when 1333 RAM was the fastest and DDR2 RAM module are still widely accepted.

Thank you in advance to everyone willing to lend me a hand.

Solution
Simple answer: Higher speed will make more difference than lower timings.

The difference will be very small either way. It's really only worth debating if you are an obsessive benchmark person. In real game play, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 RAM and DDR3-1600 7-7-7-18 RAM.

I suggest a 1.5v spec 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 kit, like the Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws / Ripjaws X. Spend your money on something that makes a noticeable difference, like an SSD or a more powerful graphics card.
Simple answer: Higher speed will make more difference than lower timings.

The difference will be very small either way. It's really only worth debating if you are an obsessive benchmark person. In real game play, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 RAM and DDR3-1600 7-7-7-18 RAM.

I suggest a 1.5v spec 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 kit, like the Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws / Ripjaws X. Spend your money on something that makes a noticeable difference, like an SSD or a more powerful graphics card.

Solution