[SOLVED] Higher resolution settings than my monitor?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Sorry that the title is a bit confusing, I’m not sure how to describe it. I have a dell S2719DGF, it’s 1440p, 155hz, and has AMD freesync. So I have an AMD graphics card, and, I don’t know if this is important or not, I enabled virtual super resolution. So, when I look in my windows display settings, I see that I can change my resolution to 2160p! What happens when I change it? I have a second monitor that is 900p, and it also has a higher resolution setting, when I change it to anything higher than the recommended then it says “output not supported”, but when I change my main monitor to 4K it works. Is it really a higher resolution, or is it losing 4K, but the monitor only displays 1440p? Will it put more strain on my graphics card/cpu for losing more pixels that I can’t display? Also, if I take a screenshot, or I record with obs, can I do that in 4K? I’m just a little confused on this, and can someone clear it up?

Solution
If you set your resolution to 4K the GPU will be working just as hard as if it were connected to a 4K monitor, which is more work than if it were rendering at 1440p. It is rendering in 4K, and then scaling it down to 1440p just before sending it to your 1440p monitor. As the AMD article states, it is called Supersampling and it offers a better image quality than rendering at the native resolution. It will most likely increase your GPU temp and you will lose some FPS (as is the case when you increase render resolution), but if you can see a diffrence in image quality and you like the result despite some of the costs of using this feature then by all means use it.
If you set your resolution to 4K the GPU will be working just as hard as if it were connected to a 4K monitor, which is more work than if it were rendering at 1440p. It is rendering in 4K, and then scaling it down to 1440p just before sending it to your 1440p monitor. As the AMD article states, it is called Supersampling and it offers a better image quality than rendering at the native resolution. It will most likely increase your GPU temp and you will lose some FPS (as is the case when you increase render resolution), but if you can see a diffrence in image quality and you like the result despite some of the costs of using this feature then by all means use it.

Solution