Higher temperatures after reapplying thermal paste

Anshul_25

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
I had installed my stock Intel cpu cooler upside down (the Intel logo was upside down) so I cleaned my cpu and cooler with iso-propyl alcohol and reapplied thermal compound on my cpu (I used Deepcool Z5) using the dot/pea method and I saw that my idle temperature was 50 celcius (I have an i3 and it used to run on idle at around 35 celcius). I removed the cooler and saw that the paste was evenly spread out. I then applied thermal paste on my cpu 2 times by spreading it out with the applicator provided in the package and 2 times with the pea method without any success. I didn't go with the cross method(sounds scary) till now. Shall I go with it? What do I do?
UPDATE: I did a stress test on my computer and the peak temperatures now as compared to the peak temperatures before applying the thermal paste are much better(around 20 degrees better). But the idle temperatures are still high. Does this mean that my paste has a certain curing time?

Solution
Some paste types need some time to cure (actually it's just to melt enough to fill even smallest pores in metal surfaces and evacuate any air bubbles). Don't pay much attention to idle temps, it's max temps that are most important. Beside the inaccuracy of sensors (some CPUs are really bad at that at lower temps) There are other factors that influence it, fan may not be running full or at enough speed under low loads for instance. Things like that.
Some paste types need some time to cure (actually it's just to melt enough to fill even smallest pores in metal surfaces and evacuate any air bubbles). Don't pay much attention to idle temps, it's max temps that are most important. Beside the inaccuracy of sensors (some CPUs are really bad at that at lower temps) There are other factors that influence it, fan may not be running full or at enough speed under low loads for instance. Things like that.

Solution

Anshul_25

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

Oh ok. Thanks! I did a stress test on AIDA 64 and my peak temperature was 77 and average was 75 celcius. The temperature of my room is around 37 degrees. Are these temperatures good? Btw I have a custom fan curve so I don't think that the cooler might be the main problem (It still is a problem even if small cause I am running my cpu on the stock intel cooler :p . Well should I buy an aftermarket cooler?) Thanks once again!!!