Question Higher temps after repasting

Sep 7, 2021
Hello, I recently paid 120$aud for a technician at tekdepot to repaste my laptop cpu (i7-10750h) as my temps were quite high, after receiving my laptop back again about 3 hrs ago, I have noticed even worse temps than before. The store did not have arctic mx 5 so I used there compromise being arctic silver 5, I was wondering if there can be a break in time for thermal paste on laptops or if there is a new problem, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head.............

Some people allege that some pastes require break in time.

That may or may not be true.

BUT, I certainly wouldn't expect a significant change after break in, just as I wouldn't expect significant differences between pastes if properly applied.

You don't mention specific temps, so anything is possible.....bad paste, bad application of good paste, something totally unrelated to pastes, etc.

Laptops are notorious for high temps, so yours may be something you have to live with...........although temps make some people very nervous even if within manufacturer limits. Part of the price you pay for using a laptop.

Sep 7, 2021
Off the top of my head.............

Some people allege that some pastes require break in time.

That may or may not be true.

BUT, I certainly wouldn't expect a significant change after break in, just as I wouldn't expect significant differences between pastes if properly applied.

You don't mention specific temps, so anything is possible.....bad paste, bad application of good paste, something totally unrelated to pastes, etc.

Laptops are notorious for high temps, so yours may be something you have to live with...........although temps make some people very nervous even if within manufacturer limits. Part of the price you pay for using a laptop.
By bad temps I mean under a stress test on user benchmark very quickly going over 90 degrees and when playing a game and using about 35 watts of power on the cpu I was hovering around 75c when I used to get mid 60's in those situations?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
By bad temps I mean under a stress test on user benchmark very quickly going over 90 degrees and when playing a game and using about 35 watts of power on the cpu I was hovering around 75c when I used to get mid 60's in those situations?

Thanks for the context. So how bad is it after getting the laptop back now?
If it is seriously worse than that, like gpu hitting 90 at 75% use, i would assume the tech did not screw the cooling plate back on securely.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Well, dont judge by one thing,

It could be the Fans...
it could be the thermal paste

It could be anything. first try doing the less costlier thing like cleaning the fan then move to something else like applying thermal paste (if the first one doesnt work)

Judging by OP using technician services for paste renewal, I'd guess they are either not confident doing much repairs or they have a warranty they want to keep ;)

I would suggest not trying to clean fans without opening the laptop, as you'd simply be pushing the dust back in. Although, if you are able to open it and do not have a warranty you are babying you should be able to just do it with a toothbrush and ear cleaners.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
i thought so too, then i thought why would a guy with no talent do such a thing, and he must have

Yep. Although even if there was a warranty it would be void by now cuz the thermal paste was applied by removing the cover (which there is no other way) :)

I thought maybe the guy would be some kind of approved tech, that way they replace the indication stickers. But anyway, grab some mini screwdrivers and an old credit card and get that back off the lappy. Almost all have pop clips about 3 each side that hang on after the screws are out, ground yourself on something metal and get cleaning. Don't use water to help clean, use alcohol (spirits, don't throw a beer in) or contact cleaner

Reactions: GobbleBear
Sep 7, 2021
If it is seriously worse than that, like gpu hitting 90 at 75% use, i would assume the tech did not screw the cooling plate back on securely.
Yeah you are probably right, surely considering I paid such good money for a simple job they would take another look for free, how would you suggest I approach them, also I should note, after driving home I noticed one of the corners of the laptop had not even been clipped back in.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Yeah you are probably right, surely considering I paid such good money for a simple job they would take another look for free, how would you suggest I approach them, also I should note, after driving home I noticed one of the corners of the laptop had not even been clipped back in.

Just explain the temps you had before and after. If they were similar you probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but seeing as it got worse then it's on them.

Whether you keep your cool or make a complaint, they may offer a little refund or something if you push

Sep 7, 2021
Just explain the temps you had before and after. If they were similar you probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but seeing as it got worse then it's on them.

Whether you keep your cool or make a complaint, they may offer a little refund or something if you push
From what I have noticed, it seems that the temps are around 10 degrees worse than before this is considering the same wattage room temp and utilization, whilst there is clearly no way of proving this to them, if this weren't the case why would I have a problem, to be honest if the temps had of been the same I would have simply called myself an idiot and left it there, but the fact that they got worse is just so frustrating. Thank you for your replies, I await your speedy response.

TRENDING THREADS