[SOLVED] Higher temps and low RPM after changing GPU thermal paste?! Please help.

el_shekoo7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have RX570 4g Saphire pulse, I recently changed the thermal paste ( i used crossair TM30 ).
then I noticed that I'm getting low rpm (0 until I hit 50s then round 900-1100 max) with temps (around 67-76) tested with rdr2 for a few minutes.
BEFORE my temps max was 66 after playing for a longer time ( I'm not sure about the previous rpm).

I know it might be safe/normal temps to hit 70s at max but it was really amazing to only hit 66 -67 as a max temp!
Any help, please?

Solution
Use MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve, something like 60-70% at 60c. Btw, why did you change the thermal paste when you were getting 67c max temp?

el_shekoo7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Use MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve, something like 60-70% at 60c. Btw, why did you change the thermal paste when you were getting 67c max temp?

is setting this custom curve could affect the fans life span or anything like that? IDK i still regret doing it hahaha I thought it could be better.
btw i re-applied it today and now I'm getting 70-71 as max temps with about 2000 rpm, is this good? maybe I need to get a better paste if this one isn't that good?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
is setting this custom curve could affect the fans life span or anything like that? IDK i still regret doing it hahaha I thought it could be better.
btw i re-applied it today and now I'm getting 70-71 as max temps with about 2000 rpm, is this good? maybe I need to get a better paste if this one isn't that good?
It is perfectly fine, in some cases it is just going to be more louder.

GPUs' thermal paste usually last for years, that is why it is not recommended to replace it, but it is still a good practice to clean the GPU fans from time to time even from outside without opening it using Q-tips, also it is highly recommended to optimize your chassis airflow.

Reactions: el_shekoo7

el_shekoo7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019

GPUs' thermal paste usually last for years, that is why it is not recommended to replace it, but it is still a good practice to clean the GPU fans from time to time even from outside without opening it using Q-tips, also it is highly recommended to optimize your chassis airflow.

ok great, I didn't know that it could last for that long I think it's applied well this time and I'll give the custom curve a try too, thanks a lot for your time and help.

Reactions: Fiorezy

el_shekoo7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019

[/QUOTE

I noticed that it could be done in amd driver so i used it, made it
20% at 30c
36% at 50c
60% at 60c
85% at 75c
100% at 85c

Tested, stayed at range 57c to 60c for about 20 minutes with rpm around 1700-1800 most of the time, is it good and safe to leave it like that? ( i usually play for longer time i just don’t have time to test it longer)