[SOLVED] Higher than normal temps

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
Okay so I have no idea what is happening to my graphics card right now. I just got myself a 1440p monitor, the Viewsonic VX2768-2KP-MHD, two days ago and since then I've noticed that the temp on the graphics card has stayed around 45°C even when sitting at the desktop screen. Even after a reboot the temp will be around mid-30s but then climb back to 45° all while sitting there just displaying my background image. Now I have 2 monitors, the one mentioned plus the 1080p version, the VX2758-MHD. I managed to OC the 1440p monitor to 160+Hz before being safe and keeping it at 160Hz and the 2nd monitor, while capable of 144Hz, I had it set at that, 120Hz, 100Hz and finally 60Hz without seeing the temp move more than a single degree. In the past I've seen, with afterburner, that when I'm not playing any games the core clock will rest at, I think, 400MHz and sit at close to 30°C. Now the core clock won't go below 1470MHz even after resetting AB to default values. There is no buildup of dust and there are 4 case fans, 2x140mm front, 1x120mm rear, 1x200mm top, and I had extra 120mm fans so I put 2 under the graphics card to help direct the air up into the gpu cooler. My only working theory, albeit a little absurd, is that someone has piggy-backed into my system to do some crypto mining while my pc is on. Kinda farfetched but I can't think of anything else it might be, unless my slightly outdated drivers are to blame. Only about a month out-of-date and I'm updating right after I post this. I hope that there is someone that can help me or the update fixes the issue.

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
OMFG it's Chrome!!! as soon as I posted I closed chrome and saw the core clock AND temp immediately go down. I guess so much for Chrome 89 being less of a drain? I do have hardware acceleration turned on. I know this is a graphics card sub-forum but what other web browser is good to use that isn't firefox or edge?

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
turns out it was the overclocking of my main monitor that was the culprit. I noticed the increase again this morning and decided to try lowering the refresh rate again, maybe I didn't wait long enough when changing that yesterday, and saw the temp go back down to normal.

I know it's noting to be worried about I just wanted to find out what was doing it so that I could actually put it out of my mind. Thanks

Reactions: aldan