Question Higher than previous idle frequency/vcore on Ryzen 5 3600 - cause unclear

Killermega

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Hey all,

To preface this, I know AMD CPUs run high voltages and that it is normal behavior, especially in idle or lightly threaded loads. I do not need to see multiple comments telling me "that's perfectly normal voltage and temp levels, stop whining". However, I am pretty certain that my case is not normal.

Here are some details for reference:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Asus ROG STRIX B500i GAMING
  • Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX
  • 2xCorsair LL120 (mounted in push as front intake)
  • Chipset version 4.06.10.651
  • BIOS version 2803
  • Ryzen Balanced Power Plan
I recently updated my chipset drivers and BIOS, and after using my PC for a few days, I am noticing that my fans are running considerably louder. I checked the dust filter on my fans and my fan profile, but instead what I found in my investigation was that my CPU was running at 4GHz @ 1.42v (checked using Ryzen Master right after restart). This results in an idle temp of 60 degrees with a 240mm AIO, which I think is ridiculous, especially seeing that this exact same build was sitting pretty at 45 degrees idle with the exact same settings a week ago.

I attempted to make some changes in my BIOS to reduce temps, but almost nothing made any difference. I even completely reset my BIOS settings to default, only changing a few things unrelated to CPU performance and I got the same temps/clocks/vcore as I did when running WITH PBO ENABLED.

Screengrab of RM at idle (waited for temps to stabilize): View: https://imgur.com/a/BAAm7hu

You can see here that none of the cores are sleeping for some reason despite no foreground apps and minimal background apps (~2% CPU usage), and the most powerful core in CCX 0 is boosting to 4GHz with default OC/PBO settings.
I'm not sure what to do or what to think here, is this a problem with the chipset driver? BIOS setting? Windows update? Rats nibbling through the wires in my PC? All I know is that I need to resolve this quick because I am boiling alive with my PC on and I will not make it through the rest of the summer like this.

Thanks

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Side note I'm running Intel build so that's an observation/opinion from me.
Updates tend to do one of three things, fix, break or nothing, in your case and from your descripton break but it's not the end of thre world.
You won't be breaking or boilong anything in your rig though I must say this temp is a tad high for idle considering performance (I had similar while running 5ghz oc stif with 360 watercooler).
You have a couple of options, deal with it, rollback on an updat, reset/default all BIOS setting and see how things are. or improve your cpu/chasis cooling in case the update actually comes with noticable improvement in performance which most users want over qol.

Hey all,

To preface this, I know AMD CPUs run high voltages and that it is normal behavior, especially in idle or lightly threaded loads. I do not need to see multiple comments telling me "that's perfectly normal voltage and temp levels, stop whining". However, I am pretty certain that my case is not normal.

Here are some details for reference:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Asus ROG STRIX B500i GAMING
  • Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX
  • 2xCorsair LL120 (mounted in push as front intake)
  • Chipset version 4.06.10.651
  • BIOS version 2803
  • Ryzen Balanced Power Plan
I recently updated my chipset drivers and BIOS, and after using my PC for a few days, I am noticing that my fans are running considerably louder. I checked the dust filter on my fans and my fan profile, but instead what I found in my investigation was that my CPU was running at 4GHz @ 1.42v (checked using Ryzen Master right after restart). This results in an idle temp of 60 degrees with a 240mm AIO, which I think is ridiculous, especially seeing that this exact same build was sitting pretty at 45 degrees idle with the exact same settings a week ago.

I attempted to make some changes in my BIOS to reduce temps, but almost nothing made any difference. I even completely reset my BIOS settings to default, only changing a few things unrelated to CPU performance and I got the same temps/clocks/vcore as I did when running WITH PBO ENABLED.

Screengrab of RM at idle (waited for temps to stabilize): View: https://imgur.com/a/BAAm7hu

You can see here that none of the cores are sleeping for some reason despite no foreground apps and minimal background apps (~2% CPU usage), and the most powerful core in CCX 0 is boosting to 4GHz with default OC/PBO settings.
I'm not sure what to do or what to think here, is this a problem with the chipset driver? BIOS setting? Windows update? Rats nibbling through the wires in my PC? All I know is that I need to resolve this quick because I am boiling alive with my PC on and I will not make it through the rest of the summer like this.

Thanks
Have you tried with changing "Power options" in Control panel ? Minimum CPU state at about 5% ?

Hey all,

To preface this, I know AMD CPUs run high voltages and that it is normal behavior, especially in idle or lightly threaded loads. ....This results in an idle temp of 60 degrees with a 240mm AIO, which I think is ridiculous,
It's important to understand not just that it's normal for Ryzen to hit high voltage and temps but why and when. It happens when a single core boosts for a processing load when it comes along. Windows very frequently has processing loads that come and go.

Why is that important? Something I've noticed on my system is Windows Search tool is sort of broken. It takes absolutely forever (literally DAYS of on-time) to create an index of just a few folders and while it's doing so the processor is constantly boosting one or two cores, making it spike to high voltages more frequently and for longer periods which has made it run a bit warmer. It's only happened recently to my system (maybe a recent update??). Check Search Indexing advanced settings to see if it's affecting yours too. Disable it if you want.

One other thing to do is stop using RyzenMaster...it's not really intended for 24/7 use anyway but as a tool for competition overclockers to do real-time overclocking without rebooting. The service is itself known to be a drag on performance, something that's not so important to extreme overclockers who aren't looking for performance only high clocks for a short period of time.

And especially so, it's not very good as a monitoring program either.

Another thing to understand is that Ryzen does not (or should not) "run" at a high voltage. If set up properly (not using a fixed voltage overclock) it actually spends the majority of it's time at less than 1V, and when working hard is held to around 1.35V or less. You'd probably never get that information from RM since it's not a proper monitoring program.

I'd suggest using HWINfo64 instead if all you're really using it for is monitoring voltage and temperatures. That tool lets you get a much better idea of when voltage is high and as well reports a true core voltage as well as VRM output voltage both instantaneous and averaged over time so you can get a better idea of what's happening and affect on the system. By using a proper system monitoring tool along with Task Manager and understanding how Ryzen works you can do a much better job of actually analyzing what's going on instead of just feeling frustrated and helpless.

Last edited: