Question Highly volatile frame rates on 8700k/1070Ti

Feb 12, 2019
System
CPU: Intel i7 8700K
GPU: MSI 1070Ti Gaming 8G
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 3000
Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Extreme4
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo + Samsung 860 Evo (properly installed, not overlapping SATA lanes)
Power: Corsair VS650
Case: CoolerMaster H500
Other: Hyper 212X CPU cooler, Acer 1440p 120hz monitor

Problem: I get a very volatile framerate in most games, and momentary hitches, with occasional system-wide lockups for 10 seconds to upwards of 2-3 minutes. Lockups seem to coincide with specific software, MSI Afterburner or GeForce Experience are two I've actually been able to narrow down (I also got hitches after installing and launching HWMonitor for the first time). Some services regularly have trouble connecting to the internet (Discord, Steam, Origin in particular). This volatility persists regardless of the settings. Dropping from 120fp in BFV on all low settings to 90fps (according to the in-game fps counter) feels and looks like my previous PC dropping from 60fps to 30fps. Looking at the performance graphs in Assassin's Creed Odyssey showed extremely volatile frame rates at any settings, game was noticeably choppy. At a combo of medium-high the game jumped regularly between 70fps and as low as 22fps. This choppiness was resolved by GeForce Experience (which with optimization made the game consistently hover around the 60fps mark), but GFE made the system-wide hitches significantly more common. Shadow of the Tomb Raider was also very choppy, Apex Legends on the lowest possible settings went full on slideshow in the middle of a gunfight.

Origin is garbage so I'll ignore that, but my Windows 10 laptop's version of Discord connects to voice just fine, while this desktop Windows 10 machine requires 5-6 restarts of Discord on most launches to get it connected to the same voice chat. Steam often fails to load the store, or only loads it partially. Browsers work fine, windows store works fine. Idk if that's connected to whatever else is going on, but I figured I'd include this because it's been persisting in the same way as the frame rate volatility.

Essentially, everything feels choppy, frame rate is very volatile moment to moment, frame rate drops feel drastic, but otherwise everything is telling me its fine. Connectivity issues and hitches are common.

What I've Done
  • Checked temps, nothing is overheating anywhere.
  • Checked power draw, everything seems fine.
  • Reseated RAM, CPU, GPU.
  • Checked memory for stability, it passed with flying colors.
  • Made sure memory clock was stock to CPU and XMP off for stability check, no changes.
  • Checked storage integrity and transfer rates, everything was fine.
  • Disable C State support in the BIOS
  • Check System with LatencyMon
  • Display Driver Uninstaller from SafeMode complete reinstall of Nvidia drivers
  • Several complete reinstalls of Win10, these problems persist regardless of the method. Completely formatting all the drives and installing everything again from the bottom up had the same result as reinstalling and keeping my stuff.
  • Check clocks in HWMonitor. GPU and CPU are both hitting their normal targets and their boosts fine.
I'm past RMA status on basically everything, thought I had this solved, and am now experiencing it all over again. Any help would be appreciated. Being $1500 in the hole with a PC that is functionally trash "feels bad man".

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
Wow, almost sounds like windows itself is messed up. Honestly, I'd do a full re-installation of windows 10. Also make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Ah, yes, I left out that I've also pulled fresh copies of everything for the board from Asrock's site, and tried both that and what came on the disk with the board. I've done 3-4 reinstallations of Windows from two separate sources, one a media image from the microsoft site and one a slightly old USB key version. The system-wide hitching seems to dissipate after a while, with only slight hitching in games, while reinstalling Windows tends to bring it back with a vengeance, particularly when opening system windows / programs.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I tend to agree that that power supply isn't one I'd use as a paperweight near a PC I cared about.

Just out of curiosity how hot does the CPU get under full load? That's definitely not a cooler I'd consider as a good option for your cpu but it should be okay at stock speeds I suppose.

Does your motherboard have a temp sensor for the vrms? Can you monitor CPU speed on screen while gaming to see if the cpu is throttling?

www.userbenchmark.com

Post the link it gives you at the end here