HighPoint Shows Off 40-Port SATA3 Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Just what I need to make a 3D rendering/photo/video editing computer. Raid 20 1TB HDD together and get some sweet speeds and lots of storage for raw audio/video files. I think I'll get a refurbished one when they show up on Newegg or whatever site that carries them.

[citation][nom]jewellham26is[/nom]I make $85/hour from working freelance on my laptop. Before this job i've been out of a job for 5 months but last month my payment with bonus was little over $18000 just for working on the laptop for about 5 hours a day. Here's the site to read more how you can do it too> www.wow72.com[/citation]

GI. TO. HELL. we will all thank you you pathetic loser

fteoOpty6488

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]web-based interface is a privacy issue... and thus a non-buy for me[/citation]
Huh ?. Your server/workstation needs to be protected by firewall/NAT router etc and the web-based interface is supposed to be for a local LAN monitoring. Not meant for direct internet. Usually, people will use a specific machine to send monitoring message across the internet. And you do not have to enable this feature either!.

Would like to see a PCie X4 version with 6 or 8 sata3 ports for a good Raid array under Linux.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fteoOpty6488[/nom]Would like to see a PCie X4 version with 6 or 8 sata3 ports for a good Raid array under Linux.[/citation]

a 3ware 9750 is a good controller for that, and they're fairly inexpensive for an enterprise raid controller.
My experiences with Highpoint have been really bad.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Yeah what chassis can support 40 HDDs? Seems like this would be better if it had fewer internal ports and some external ones on the back that could be hooked up to an expander.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Too bad the article doesn't give useful information, such as RAID levels supported, on-board cache size, etc.[/citation]

From the look of the chips on that board, and from the name being "Rocket" instead of "RocketRaid" it's probably just an HBA, meaning raid 1, 0, and 10, if any raid capabilities, with no cache. This is just a SATA controller, not a RAID controller. The fine print is where they get you.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]GI. TO. HELL. we will all thank you you pathetic loser[/citation]

I know the constant spam is annoying, but for the mods, please don't quote the message. It means they have to edit your message to remove the spam.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
PCI-e II x8 is good for 4gb/sec. Given 40 drives, that works out to 100mb/sec per drive. That is pretty lame as even a modern 5400 rpm drive can do well over 150mb/sec sustained. If you have SSD's then can saturate a SATA III interface at 600mb/sec, which means 7 SSDs would saturate this device.

I am not sure what use this is given its crazy low bandwidth.

hmohniii

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
No raid capability since it is a "Rocket" and not "RocketRaid", but would make for a nice HBA for ZFS... if there is FreeBSD/NAS/etc support for it (I've had horrible luck with trying to get a RocketRaid card to work under FreeNAS).

Peter Chou

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
I think many users worry about JBOD could not have protection, but it also allow users attaches 40 HDD directly and owns 40 Volume, or you can split the MBR/GPT for more volumes, that is still safe for user's data, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS