Hillsfar

gb

Anyone remember this game?

How do you get it to run in a Win2k setting?

--
"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely
helps them to deceive themselves." Eric Hoffer

GB <nonono@nospam.invalid> once tried to test me with:

> Anyone remember this game?

I do now. Thanks. The nightmares were almost gone. Almost.

> How do you get it to run in a Win2k setting?

Run away. Run far away.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 20 Mar 2005 02:09:16 GMT, GB <nonono@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Anyone remember this game?

It uses the AD&D pretense, but the game mechanics have been lobotomized and
replaced with something else. At least your character gets a small bonus
after completing the game - Clerics get a max hitpoint boost, and I expect
other classes get the same.

>How do you get it to run in a Win2k setting?

What problem have you run into?

In any case, using DosBox is preferred. While it is normally playable, it
feels that fast computers are at a slight disadvantage in some places -
DoxBox should at least help in this regard.

gb

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> skrev i meddelelsen

>> Anyone remember this game?
> I do now. Thanks. The nightmares were almost gone. Almost.

LOL! Sorry, chum... :)

--
"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely
helps them to deceive themselves." Eric Hoffer
Med venlig hilsen
GB

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-21, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:33:37 +1100, David Carson
><david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>>It had various awful subgames. I think there was a side scrolling
>>horse-riding one; there was also some terrible archery and a stupid
>>fighting-with-staves subgame.
>>
>>Cheers!
>>David...
>
> And the horrible lock pick game.

Well Hillsfar got a "topdog" award at the-underdogs.org and the
review reads:

"A fun RPG with lots of neat arcade sequences (e.g. horseback
riding, lockpicking, arena fights), this game once again proves
that Westwood didn't become one of the greatest computer game
companies from sheer luck. Although not a full-fledged RPG, it's
a fun diversion set in the D&D universe. You'd have to be
somewhat good at action games though, since you'll definitely
need reflexes for this one. Aside from vibrant graphics and many
sub-plot for each character class, the lock-picking interface in
this game is the best I've seen. Thumbs up!"

I guess a few people liked it.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:31:38 -0600, shadows wrote:

<Snip>

> I guess a few people liked it.
I had it for the C64 and didn't find it that bad.... I just didn't find a
point to it.

--
RJB
3/21/2005 8:38:32 AM

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will
surprise you with their ingenuity.
--George S. Patton, Jr.

GB typed:
> How do you get it to run in a Win2k setting?

This one is best left in the Forgotten Realms setting. ;)

};> Matt v3.2 <:{

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:31:38 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-21, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:33:37 +1100, David Carson
>><david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>
>>>It had various awful subgames. I think there was a side scrolling
>>>horse-riding one; there was also some terrible archery and a stupid
>>>fighting-with-staves subgame.
>>>
>>>Cheers!
>>>David...
>>
>> And the horrible lock pick game.
>
>Well Hillsfar got a "topdog" award at the-underdogs.org and the
>review reads:

Honestly, I think they've been dishing out those awards at random. Some
games that received the award *ARE* underdogs for a reason. In addition,
I've seen some true dogs that got dismissed as substandard, mainly because
the reviewer didn't like the game. (e.g. TA:K, where the reviewer
incorrectly said Zhon has no "long-range" units, among many other
complaints common to other strategy games released afterwards.)

[...]
>Aside from vibrant graphics and many
>sub-plot for each character class, the lock-picking interface in
>this game is the best I've seen. Thumbs up!"

I haven't found any sub-plot in the game - at least when I played it. The
only thing I discovered was finding the guild (a mission objective in the
manual), and doing was I was told from the guild, which qualified as a main
plot. At best, there might be three things that some players get to do
(such as an Half-elf Fighter/Cleric/Mage visiting all the guilds), but
everything is straight forward.

The only thing that ultimatly mattered in Hillsfar was the character's
hitpoints and the strength attribute (if it is high enough). Everything
else doesn't have any visible impact and is made up for by the playet (not
the charater) knowing what to do.

FYI, the gold count at the end of the game won't matter - the sequel "Curse
of the Azure Bonds" wipes out inventory because of some initial plot.

>I guess a few people liked it.

For it's time... but it was only marginally connected with D&D ruleset.
That's the main reason the game isn't liked anymore (or perhaps to begin
with.)

Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

>the sequel "Curse of the Azure Bonds"...

....is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
>On 2005-03-21, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:33:37 +1100, David Carson
>><david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>
>>>It had various awful subgames. I think there was a side scrolling
>>>horse-riding one; there was also some terrible archery and a stupid
>>>fighting-with-staves subgame.
>>>
>>>Cheers!
>>>David...
>>
>> And the horrible lock pick game.
>
>Well Hillsfar got a "topdog" award at the-underdogs.org and the
>review reads:
>
>"A fun RPG with lots of neat arcade sequences (e.g. horseback
>riding, lockpicking, arena fights), this game once again proves
>that Westwood didn't become one of the greatest computer game
>companies from sheer luck. Although not a full-fledged RPG, it's
>a fun diversion set in the D&D universe. You'd have to be
>somewhat good at action games though, since you'll definitely
>need reflexes for this one. Aside from vibrant graphics and many
>sub-plot for each character class, the lock-picking interface in
>this game is the best I've seen. Thumbs up!"
>
>I guess a few people liked it.

Underdogs is a sick crazy bitch.

Mean_Chlorine schrieb:

> Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:
>

>>the sequel "Curse of the Azure Bonds"...
>

> ...is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.

But is it actually the sequel to *Hillsfar*?
I thought it would be in a series with Pool of Radiance/Secret of the
Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness/Pool of Radiance II?
Where does Hillsfar fit in there?
bye
Michael

In article <d1ps4l$mah$01$1@news.t-online.com>, NetterNachbar6@lycos.de says...

>Mean_Chlorine schrieb:

>> Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

>>>the sequel "Curse of the Azure Bonds"...

>> ...is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.

>But is it actually the sequel to *Hillsfar*?
>I thought it would be in a series with Pool of Radiance/Secret of the
>Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness/Pool of Radiance II?
>Where does Hillsfar fit in there?

I have the following as the issue sequence for the SSI's Gold Box games:

SSI's Gold Box Games

Published Title

1/89 Pool Of Radiance
7/89 Curse Of Azure Bonds
9/89 Hillsfar

1/90 Champions Of Krynn
6/90 Secret Of The Silver Blades
10/90 Buck Rogers Countdown To Doomsday

2/91 Death Knights Of Krynn
9/91 Gateway To The Savage Frontier
9/91 Pools Of Darkness

2/92 Buck Rogers Matrix Cubed
4/92 Treasures Of The Savage Frontier
7/92 Dark Queen Of Krynn
11/92 Spelljammer

4/93 Unlimited Adventures

The SSI Winter 1989 catalog say Hillsfar would be released in january, but I
think it was delayed. The description says you can use both POR and CAB
characters in the game.

Hillsfar was meant to be a stat building game to boost your characters for use
in the next game.

Hillsfar is the only one of the series I never bought.

Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

Michael Romes wrote:
> Mean_Chlorine schrieb:
>> Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:
>>
>>> the sequel "Curse of the Azure Bonds"...
>>
>> ...is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.
>
> But is it actually the sequel to *Hillsfar*?
> I thought it would be in a series with Pool of Radiance/Secret of the
> Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness/Pool of Radiance II?
> Where does Hillsfar fit in there?

Hillsfar is the cousin with seven toes on each foot that the rest of the
family don't like to talk about.

(p.s. I also played it on the C64, not the PC)

Cheers!
David...

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:36:53 +0100, Michael Romes
<NetterNachbar6@lycos.de> wrote:

>Mean_Chlorine schrieb:
>
>> Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:
>>

>>>the sequel "Curse of the Azure Bonds"...
>>

>> ...is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.
>
>But is it actually the sequel to *Hillsfar*?
>I thought it would be in a series with Pool of Radiance/Secret of the
>Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness/Pool of Radiance II?
>Where does Hillsfar fit in there?
>bye
>Michael

AFAIK Curse is in the same line as Silver Baldes. IIRC you wake up
after Silver Blades, naked and with these strange tattoos.

LYnley

In article <ngn241ltdohqsq8cn1eqvbgdqroko3ue2n@4ax.com>, lynley.james@gmail.com
says...

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:36:53 +0100, Michael Romes
><NetterNachbar6@lycos.de> wrote:
>
>>Mean_Chlorine schrieb:
>>
>>> Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

>>> ...is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.
>>
>>But is it actually the sequel to *Hillsfar*?
>>I thought it would be in a series with Pool of Radiance/Secret of the
>>Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness/Pool of Radiance II?
>>Where does Hillsfar fit in there?
>>bye
>>Michael
>
>AFAIK Curse is in the same line as Silver Baldes. IIRC you wake up
>after Silver Blades, naked and with these strange tattoos.
>
>LYnley

Curse of the Azure Bonds came after Pools of Radiance, and before Secret of the
Silver Blades. Hillsfar was release about the same time as Curse of the Azure
Bonds.

wrote:

>Mean_Chlorine schrieb:
>
>> Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:
>>

>>>the sequel "Curse of the Azure Bonds"...
>>

>> ...is, on the other hand, a really good rpg.
>
>But is it actually the sequel to *Hillsfar*?

Yes. From what I can tell, the "official" plot involves characters
travelling from New Phlan to the location of the new adventure. However,
it is still possible for the events to occurr after CotAB as there isn't
any explicit restriction.

With Secret, the characters are moved to a different location in the world,
thus making Hillsfar look awkward with those kinds of characters.

Thusly Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>AFAIK Curse is in the same line as Silver Baldes. IIRC you wake up
>after Silver Blades, naked and with these strange tattoos.

Oh, one of THOSE nights. Well, we've all been there...

I played them, but I honestly don't remember. I remember CotAB, but
not the others.

--
*** One Bastard Less ***
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1496132/20050121/index.jhtml