[SOLVED] Hints for getting this ethernet cable guide on before the rj45 before I start throwing things

Solution
I strip the outside and leave about 2.5 inches of wire.
Uncoil the pairs
move the wires to match the pattern
straighten out the wires as best I can
The cut the wires in a straight line leaving about 2/3rds an inch holding them in a straight line with my fingers with the patterns already matched.
Take the rj45 and slide it on while I and holding the wires in a straight line with my other hand. They usually fall in line and I dont have to do any wiggling or anything.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the connector being used - but it's also a trial & error thing.

I forget the terminology, but there are connectors that you push the wires through, and the crimping of the connector cuts them to length. Easier to work with longer wires.

Others require them to be the right length (for the most part) ahead of time, which make it much, much tougher to work with.

Jan 9, 2019
I strip the outside and leave about 2.5 inches of wire.
Uncoil the pairs
move the wires to match the pattern
straighten out the wires as best I can
The cut the wires in a straight line leaving about 2/3rds an inch holding them in a straight line with my fingers with the patterns already matched.
Take the rj45 and slide it on while I and holding the wires in a straight line with my other hand. They usually fall in line and I dont have to do any wiggling or anything.

Solution

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
On my practice cable, looks like I fed them into the rj45 upside down.

Wondering, my Klein lan scout jr test seems to work great if I have a small cable that I can loop onto each end. How does this device help me when I'm trying to test the cable(terminations actually I suppose) from the router in the basement to the end of the line in the upstairs bedroom?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Got one to work!

Key tip - Go completely hulk on the rj45 and mash the 8 wires into that sucker while crimping.

Now to get down to business and try it with the cable strung in the walls, and hopefully get them all to work on the first time so I don't have to cut and retry... :oops:

New lines in the house you should use keystone jacks or patch panel in the central location.

Keystone are very easy for beginners because you do 1 wire at a time. It is as simple as matching the colors and if one wire is a issue you just pull it lose and reterminate it. You then do what I now do just buy commercial patch cables. I have made thousands in my lifetime but I still mess up enough that I get frustrated, don't have the fancy test meters work had.