Hints of P4's multiplier changeble?

G

Just out of curiousity, I wonder how Dr. Toms underclock his P4 1.4 Ghz down to P4 1.0 Ghz. Even if he manage to change the FSB to such a slow FSB, the benchmark of clock to clock basics would not be representative of the actual P4 because the bus has been made slower, the RAM run slower, the AGP run slower, the PCI run slower. Would the benchmark that he ran be representative still? Somemore, could he find the bus speed of 71.419 Mhz (Quad Pump) on the new motherboard to run his P4 at 1.0 Ghz?

And he said
"Yes, I thought I should really do this, although Intel certainly despises me for it. I underclocked one of their great Pentium 4 processors to 1 GHz and compared it with Pentium III 1 GHz."

"Although Intel certainly despises me for it" said Toms -- Another hint?

Would this suggest that he altered the multiplier to 10X?
Well, if what he has got is an engineering samples that wasn't multiplier lock then I rest my case.

G

Well gollie gee.. I guess we need to read and see the users manual that came with the mobo that Tom used with the PIV he tested. Dont ya think????

G

the review sites often get unlocked cpu's. With an unlocked p3 for a lot of bx/via133a boards could change multiplier - they only can't becausse the cpu's are locked (not the cyrix ones though).

G

Hmmm. It says in the review that he recieved an "Unlocked" Sample. It is safe to say the general public will not be recieving such chips.

G

Yeah, safe I reckon too! It will have been a sample that he could change at will. I wonder how a 1.5Ghz Athlon will go against a P4? I don't favour either company but I have to say well done to Intel for getting such a rapid CPU through the door, but next time, try to make it ACTUALLY faster than the last, and also if you want anyone to buy it don't tell them that you are going to change it all soon anyway. (is that an admission that they knew it was a load of Cr*p?) As for AMD, get dual DDR Althons out of those wonderful Fabs and give intel the final push over the edge whilst you can.

Finally, can everyone go back to Slot's cos they are far more resiliant to removing, new heatsinks, etc. Bloody things are so sensitive nowadays don't ya think?