HIS Announces Radeon R9 295X2 8GB LiquidCooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Hird

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Does any one know of a case that can accommodate two of these cards ?
If you are going to go and spend $3000 and just GPUs, why wouldnt you just make a custom water loop? (not that i am suggesting anyone should drop 3 grand on graphics cards).

anthony8989

Distinguished
If you are going to go and spend $3000 and just GPUs, why wouldnt you just make a custom water loop? (not that i am suggesting anyone should drop 3 grand on graphics cards).

Well in this instance , if I wanted 4 x R9 290x in crossfirex I would need four custom water blocks and closed water loop systems plus the 4 way crossfire mobo. Without going into too much detail, that route is a lot more incommodious than just finding a case that could accommodate 2 R9 295x's.

This card is incredible, but I don't understand how can a AIO worth 300$ prenium over two 290x in CF. Especially when some of the custom HSF drops temps 30 degrees lower than the reference HSF.

Quad CF is is offering barely 250 to 280% over a single 290x while CF is offering around 175-185%... also, drivers are still not rendering good results and offer in many case, worst performance.

If you buy a card like that, it's for going 4K, which is still getting implemented slowly, so buying 2 is just an absurd joke.

I get a Fractal Design XL R2. It will fit my two mamoth Powercolor PCS+ 290x perfectly. You preferably need a full tower, but they can break the bank easily. For water cooling, it's hard to beat the Cosmos or The Phantek Primo... but we are talking 250$ and you are going to use 2, even 3, AIO water cooler. You need a top radiator compartment.

josephjosephson

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
all the cards are identical, just a different sticker on the fan and a different box. HIS can just claim theyre the first to get the card out to the market (2, yes they released a whole 2 of them....good luck getting one - AMD paper launch). They're already up on Ebay

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wish this had 8GB per GPU. I'm often maxing my 3GB on my 7950 and can't see 4GB being enough as I'll just push graphics further as a result. With HD texture packs, I can make an old game need the whole 3GB so it's not just new games.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Quad CF is is offering barely 250 to 280% over a single 290x while CF is offering around 175-185%... also, drivers are still not rendering good results and offer in many case, worst performance.

If you buy a card like that, it's for going 4K, which is still getting implemented slowly, so buying 2 is just an absurd joke.

Digital Storm would disagree with you.. The card seems to scale quite nicely.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/4-way-quad-crossfire-amd-r9-295x2-benchmarks-at-4k-idnum228/

Summary:
270% BF4 @ 4k
261% BSI @ 4k
344% C3 @ 4k
354% H4 @ 4k
403% FS @ 4k

% increase over single R9 290x

i feel those numbers are heavily padded. I refuse to believe a 400% increase on any game in scaling with 4 way crossfire. high 200% sure but not 3's and DEF not 4's. I would take what Digitalstorm says with a grain of salt.

The one thing that annoys me about TH is the review/description of these graphics cards. It's not an 8GB graphics card, it's a 4GB card + a 4GB card in Crossfire, which can use 4GB of memory - not 8. Especially in their 295x2 quad-crossfire review, they state 16GB of GDDR5 memory. No. It is 4GB of GDDR5 memory. Only the transistors and cores scale, not the memory.

anthony8989

Distinguished
i feel those numbers are heavily padded. I refuse to believe a 400% increase on any game in scaling with 4 way crossfire. high 200% sure but not 3's and DEF not 4's. I would take what Digitalstorm says with a grain of salt.

Well I didn't test them my self so I can't be sure for now. Tom's definitely has come up with some VERY different results for their Quad-fire tests. I would be surprized if the Hawaii chips varied in performance to that degree. Digital Storm usually ends up posting a benchmark compilation for each configuration that they test. So soon enough they'll validate their results with video proof - something not a lot of reviews do.

Scaling just doesnt work like that and never has so that would mean some new unknown tech was put into the mobo and windows and whatever else determines scaling which I highly doubt has happened and noone has noticed.

anthony8989

Distinguished
You must not have gone to the link I posted. The BF4 and BSI results are pretty typical scaling. The only benchmarks that go above %300 are Crysis 3, Heaven 4 Benchmark, and Firestrike . Which makes perfect sense since Crysis is a well coded game able to take advantage of 3 and 4 GPU's. And Fire Strike and Heaven benchmarks are graphic benchmarks... they are coded and engineered to max out Gpus . So 400% is logical.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Product Code H295LF8G4M
EAN Code 4895139009491
Cooler Dual Slot closed loop liquid cooler + Radiator
GPU R9 290X
Core Clock Up to 1018 MHz
Memory Clock 5000 MHz
Memory Size 8192 MB
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory Interface 2 x 512 bit
Interface PCI Express x16 (PCI Express 3.0)
Card Dimension 30.7x11.4x4.2(Cooler) and 12x15.25x6.4(Radiator) cm
Box Dimension 42.8 x 34.9 x 11.4 cm
Box Weight 2.7 kg

HIS Website lists a single card as 8mb of memory.

Sep 22, 2013
Can we please stop calling dual-chip cards' memory by the total and start referring to the functional?

It might have 8GB of GDDR5, but that's 4GB per chip, which effectively makes this a 4GB card. To be an 8GB card, it would need 8GB per chip.

Unless I have the option of turning off one GPU and using all 8GB for a single chip... yeah, didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.