fo3

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
I got a His Iceq 9800 Pro card with a R350 core, and when I use the atitool to find the max core speed, it goes from 378 up to about 393 without any troubles and then finds 1 wrong pixel. When it starts winding the speed back down, then every time it changes the speed, it immediately finds one wrong pixel and then goes on for a while with no errors. Then when it turns the speed lower again, it finds a wrong pixel again, only once, so it goes lower again after a while.
Shouldn't I get much more core speed with the IceQ cooling? I have a friend whose 9600pro goes to 420 with regular cooling, so I'm kind of confused here. Any ideas?

fo3

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Well the IceQ cooling should pump out the heat from the videocard, so I don't think that should be that big of a problem..
And as I remember, I saw some yellow dots on the cube in the 3d window, when I lifted the core speed higher. I may have to try it again though..
And just in case, how easy it is to fry a card this way?

fo3

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
The case has two fans(one on the top of it and the other at the power supply).
If I lifted the case in the middle of my room and left the sides open, then I should have a relatively well ventilated, and I could see if the card clocked better?

fo3

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
So I should really really consider getting more cooling, even if I'm not normally running an overclocked system?

And I tried clocking it the way you said. I set the memory to around 365 and the core to 400, and then I got some yellow dots apperaring and disappearing in the 3d window of the atitool. When I lifted the core to ~405 I had lots and lots of those yellow dots running around.
I'll try and use some other clocking program, but is it really just the atitool, thats causing the dots to appear? Isn't the 3d window just a regular application thats using the videocard?
Oh well, I guess I should just try and run some other 3d application to be sure..

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You won't like hearing this, but your card probably can't OC for jack if ATi Tool is showing yellow dots at 400/365. The best way to find out how far it will go is to run 3DMark03 Nature (Game Test 4) 5 times, looking for artifacts, then increasing the clocks if there aren't any. Start at stock speeds and work your way up 5ish MHz at a time. 395/350 is my guess for how far your card will go. It's a shame that the 9800 series isn't OCing like it used to (like the three I've had [all at least 445/386 stable with stock volts--two were pros and my current XT is running 486/400 and 1.91V on air]).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

fo3

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Actually, I don't really care about it since the card is just fine for me the way it is. But if I'm gonna plan on selling it, then this is gonna pull the price way down for me.
Anyway, I'm gonna run the nature tests now and report back later.

fo3

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
I tested it at 405/351 and heres what I got. The Atitool is showing massive artifacts, while all I could find in mother nature was a few white spots in the water, at the beginning of the clip. At lower clock speeds I couldn't see anything in the mother nature test, and at higher speeds the atitool 3d window was at times partially covered with solid yellow boxes.
I guess I should just abandon the idea of trying to oc my card.

http://www.zone.ee/killerbunnies/atitool.jpg
http://www.zone.ee/killerbunnies/nature.jpg