HIS R9 270 Overclocking Questions

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Inside of my gaming rig I have the HIS variant of the R9 270. It's the one with a base clock of 900MHz on the core, 1400MHz on the memory. I overclocked the core to 1050MHz and the memory up to 1500MHz. I used MSI Afterburner, and my question is a bit weird. I had no problems whatsoever when I overclocked. Temperatures changed by only a few degrees Celsius and the fan speed stayed at 50%. I tested this using a real-world test, not a synthetic benchmark. I hate benchmarks, since most people don't build computers so that they can wake up every morning and run benchmarks for years until they upgrade. I played some Minecraft, turned on some intense shaders. The CPU (FX-6300) with stock cooling peaked at 38C, the GPU at 43C. I had read somewhere that once a 270 reaches 60C that it's too hot, so I'm a bit puzzled why it only reaches 43C when using extremely glitchy and non-optimized shaders that bring even beast computers to their knees. I then loaded up TF2, unmodded, and I peaked at about 40C at max settings, AA and everything. I'm just confused, so many professionals that I've talked with tell me not to overclock because my card will get too hot and if I decided to OC anyway that I should only do it steadily and don't do much, yet my card maxed out without any trouble. is the R9 270 just a really overclock-friendly card? Did I get a lucky model, like is my card just better than other 270s? Should I be worried??

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I can't seem to find the option. Could you send me some screenshots or something?

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I would not overclock any higher. I have a HIS the same model you have, And yes I have overclocked mine at 1050 but I left the memory at stock. She runs nice and cool!, It's load temp is actually cooler than my 650 Ti was LOL. But no Don't push her any harder, Her memory is elpida and they are only air cooled. So if you overclock the memory 1500 is the highest I would go. The Elpida chips on the HIS models are the E6 chips. So they do have some decent OC room. But still I would not risk it only being air cooled chips, And with so many people reporting artifacts after overclocking the mem.