HIS Radeon HD 5670 VS PNY GeForce 9800 GT

Gregg Eshelman

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Both have 1 gig RAM. GeForce has twice as wide of a RAM bus but is GDDR3 vs GDDR5 on the Radeon. Radeon runs a faster clock.

Despite being a couple of years newer and supporting DirectX 11, GPU Boss rates the GeForce a bit higher overall. Most GPU benchmark and ranking sites either do not have data on the 9800 GT with 1 gig, or it's a bit difficult to make the site give the info for the 1 gig instead of the 512 meg version.

Swap in the Radeon to get DirectX 11 compatibility or see if I can come up with a better GPU? This Radeon is a freebie, pulled from an HP Core 2 Quad desktop.

Solution
They are both about the same. The DIrectx 11 support is essentially worthless for gaming because I remember the 5670 was a low end early DX11 card. So you really can't play games on it in DX11 mode since it's just not powerful enough. In DX9 then the 9800GT is a match for it. I'd look for a 5850 if you're looking for something of that vintage and relatively inexpensive.
They are both about the same. The DIrectx 11 support is essentially worthless for gaming because I remember the 5670 was a low end early DX11 card. So you really can't play games on it in DX11 mode since it's just not powerful enough. In DX9 then the 9800GT is a match for it. I'd look for a 5850 if you're looking for something of that vintage and relatively inexpensive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS