HIS radeon hd 6950 2 gb triple crossfire(6gb) vs GTX 580 3gb sli (6gb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
would they perform the same? because i can get the 3 radeon cards for $810 and the two nvidia for $1065
wondering if they would perform the same playing high end games like the witcher 2 with ubersampling on
thanks in advance
john

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Just thought i might need it in the future im not too knowledgeable when it comes to RAM :p but thanks that will save me money lol and really? i though the i7 was more for gamers, how many ghz is the 2500k overclockable to without overloading it? off topic I know but just wondering if u knew or not? and thanks for ur fast responses and help! but with those specs which gpu config would u recommend?

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
do remember that 3 2GB cards in SLI or crossfire will remain only 2gb not 6gb.

so it would be like just having one gpu? Then what would the purpose be of running sli or crossfire?

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
which out of ur two rigs is better at performing in gaming?
also i would like to be running games like crysis 2 or the witcher 2 in ultra with ubersampling(because i heard ubersampling makes the game look alot more realistic and im guessing that that will be in most upcoming games)

physically you're going to have 6GB GDDR5 with 2 GTX580 3GB. but each of the GTX580 are going to use their own on board VRAM and will not somehow share the VRAM between the core. for example if the game use 1gb VRAM the 1st gpu will use 1GB of it's VRAM and the 2nd also will use 1GB from it's own VRAM (maybe this is not the exact way how they are going to work but i think this is the easiest way to understand it). that's why in CF or SLI 1GB + 1GB = 1GB not 2GB. this is one of the limitation from using SLI or CF. having both card or triple card work in tandem will give you more processing power due to more core available which means more performance but in real games the actual performance performance will not always double or triple because of the scaling.

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
the zotac amp edition i do not recommend as the cooler is a 3 slot size (huge) may prevent sli on certain motherboard configurations

thanks i didnt know that

physically you're going to have 6GB GDDR5 with 2 GTX580 3GB. but each of the GTX580 are going to use their own on board VRAM and will not somehow share the VRAM between the core. for example if the game use 1gb VRAM the 1st gpu will use 1GB of it's VRAM and the 2nd also will use 1GB from it's own VRAM (maybe this is not the exact way how they are going to work but i think this is the easiest way to understand it). that's why in CF or SLI 1GB + 1GB = 1GB not 2GB. this is one of the limitation from using SLI or CF. having both card or triple card work in tandem will give you more processing power due to more core available which means more performance but in real games the actual performance performance will not always double or triple because of the scaling.

thanks u cleared up my confusion some

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
i think i know everything i need to know

amd655- thanks for all of ur help and with the configs u gave me pretty much saving me 50% of what i was going to spend!

renz496-thanks for clearing up some of my confusion

but im going to have to give amd655 best answer

wait one more question(i know i know i said that already) but right now i have a 750 watt power supply and i was wondering if that would be powerful enough for that config?

JohnJacobs

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
its no problem pal just go out and purchase your new setup already!
what you waiting for!
enjoy it and have fun with hours of perfect gaming

i will!! and i gotta wait to sell my old rig and get just a little more cash before i can go out and buy but it should be soon! and crap i just remembered one more thing that would completely make me sure of everything to purchase(sorry!)
if oc'ing my cpu is it necessary to buy an extra fan/and or liquid cooling system?

after market cooler is better for overclocking but liquid cooling is not a must. currently i'm using cooler master hyper TX3 for my E7500 @ 3.6Ghz. if you can find something like cooler master hyper 212+ that should do the job. just make sure you have good air flow in your case if you want to keep everything cool because overclocking always = more heat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.