HIS' Radeon R9 290X IceQ X2 Looks Like a Picasso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, for those blessed with the gift of vision, this card is quite bad. Maybe there was a sale on gold paint? Black or Gray might have been far more preferable. It'd be interesting to see a study on sales figures vs aesthetic.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Sadly, I have to say that is one UGLY card...but that rarely matters to me since the insides of my computer isn't on display, but those of you with clear sided cases (and a modicum of taste), should run away from this card no matter the performance.

Let's get something straight here... You only see the circuit board side of the card. Why do companies waste money on how these things look on the side nobody sees?

I like what Nvidia did with their 780s, Titans, 780 tis... Have the lights on the side of the card that faces the case's side door and then allow you to cycle through different light patterns.

I think the video card manufacturers should do something more along those lines if they want things to look cool. LEDs on the side with user configurable color or lighting patterns.

I agree somewhat with all these statements again, but having a prodigy case, all I see is the cooler of my GPU, not everyone has enough space or reason for a typical tower. Also, it is nice to be proud of your rig as a whole, aesthetic and all, even if no one else sees it. The 'gamer' aesthetic is just an excuse for poor ID, put a ton of folds and bumps where you can't figure out how to make it look clean.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I don't get the Picasso reference at all - quite a reach, but I do like that a company is thinking a bit outside the box with color/styling on computer components. Good effort, just not for me.

Sep 22, 2013
HIS' new graphics card will suite a Picasso themed PC quite well.

Suit. (Suite = sweet).

If by Picasso, you mean makes three-dimensional surfaces flatten together into a two-dimensional image, then I feel like they're falling short a bit on modern graphics ;)

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I always thought the IceQ coolers on the HD 6xxx and earlier 7xxx cards were quite nice, and I was a fan of their older 'budget' coolers which had a black shroud with clear blue fan.

http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/H787QN2G2M_all_1600.jpg
http://dl.maximumpc.com/galleries/pennywise09/AMD_ICEQ4HIS_full.jpg

Top is probably the last card I would've bought from them. Hell, their HD 4xxx cards were downright beautiful... I really wish people still made coolers like the used to, but I guess the need for more cooling power is beating out aesthetics at this point. That, and the worthless 'gamer' market that's being made by the advertising divisions of about every company out there. It's like we're actually trying to stop making clean, professional-looking products at his point.

Ah well, I guess I'm just old fashioned. I'm still stuck in the days of a Core2 Duo E6600 with an HD 4870... *sigh*

KosherGrimace

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Does anyone else see a partial owl's face rather than a Picasso piece? Maybe a robotic owl? Or the gaudy eyewear of perhaps Elton John?

These cards are Bob Mackie fabulouuuus!

G

Hexagonal holes over round fans would impede the airflow in this honey themed card (why honey HIS?). Also, Picasso would probably want to sue Tom's for associating him with this aesthetic disaster.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
anyone wondering why looks matter.. here is why.

Most cards perform the same with the same gpu and "factory overclock"

Brand loyalty aside, looks come into play. If the ASUS and Sapphire cards perform the same but the ASUS looks better.. thats what im going to buy. Hard to understand I know.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
FYI:
I've tested this card 6 months ago in Germany. The 1th revision card is (since February) always in our English roundup too. With data, own pics and video:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-13.html

This here (in the news) is the second version of this HIS card (Rev. 2), now with 8+8-pin connectors and a modified PCB + backplate. But the original has less coil whining. I have both cards in my hands and this Elvis-style looks in real better than on this pre-renderd pics or some photos. Simply close you case and forget the color :)

VENAXIS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Looks are secondary to me in PC components as I don't showcase the inside of my PC to every single person I know. Now if this were to be used in a beauty contest, we all know it will not win. I own an HIS 7970 IceQ X2, and let me tell you that this card is a powerful cold blooded monster!

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Although they are getting harder to find in "gaming" cases I am no longer using Clear side cases. Usually cases with a clear side are not very good looking, and they don't fit in with the more professional looking PC I'm usually going for. So how the components look is kinda meh for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.