RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi there.

Here's the situation: from the past few weeks a hissing sound is coming from my PC. I opened my pc and tried to figure out the source but I can't find it. It makes when something is loading. Like when I open the chrome, file explorer, during the game loading screen. Suppose I open the chrome and open youtube. The sound will come during the site loading. As soon as I'm in the site it stops. Then sometimes in between it happens again. I cannot figure out the reason for this. I removed my Hard drive and just turn on my PC with only SSD which has OS installed but it was still coming so I don't think my hard drive is making it. I stopped all fans and checked but still it was coming. So I don't think any of the fans are the cause either. Please suggest what to do.

Here's my system:
Ryzen 3 3100
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Corsair CX 550W
GTX 750 TI

Thanks.

Solution
Very likely caused by coil/choke whine.

Three possible sources of coil whine... PSU, motherboard, or graphics card. But if it's happening while programs are loading, that narrows it down to either the PSU or motherboard.

GPU coil whine typically comes out only during intense graphics activity like when playing games.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020

Three possible sources of coil whine... PSU, motherboard, or graphics card. But if it's happening while programs are loading, that narrows it down to either the PSU or motherboard.

GPU coil whine typically comes out only during intense graphics activity like when playing games.

Solution

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020

Thanks. so how do I figure out which is causing it PSU or mobo?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Thanks. so how do I figure out which is causing it PSU or mobo?
Listen to it and try to localize where it's coming from... where it's loudest. Oftentimes, high pitch sounds can be tricky to find as it tends to trick your brain to make it seem like it's coming from different directions. With the side cover off, move your head around and turn side to side... you should be able to narrow down the source.

Reactions: RajTheGeek